Energy Data Engineer
We come to work every day to make the world a better place.
We embrace a culture of belonging in the workplace. No matter who you are, where you're from, how you think, what you believe in, or whom you love, we welcome your application. We all come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, bringing in unique perspectives and experiences. We encourage applications from 2SLGBTQ+, Black, Indigenous, and People of Colour (BIPOC), women, newcomers to Canada, and people with disabilities. If you require any accommodation in the application and interview process, please let us know (including different materials or otherwise).
Our core values are Integrity, Innovation, and Partnership.
EfficiencyOne is a leading efficiency enterprise. We work with a number of outstanding partners to supply cost-effective energy efficiency and carbon mitigation services in Nova Scotia and beyond.
We transform the way people use energy. Together, we help people achieve their energy goals, save money, conserve resources, improve well-being, and combat climate change.
Investing in energy efficiency comes with many benefits-lower heating bills, more comfortable spaces, new jobs in your community, and a smaller overall carbon footprint.
To date, our work has achieved over $4 billion in energy savings and contributed to 22% of Nova Scotia's GHG emission reductions. If there's a better way to improve energy efficiency, we'll find it. Find out more about how we are making an impact here: https://www.efficiencyone.ca/impact/Why You'll Love Working Here
- A culture that understands there is life outside of work and cares about their employees.
- An engaging, fun, and inclusive work environment
- An awesome benefits package that starts on day one and a competitive salary
- Wellness initiatives and fitness challenges hosted throughout the year.
- Corporate gym memberships
- Career growth and professional development opportunities
- Being part of a team and contributing to Nova Scotia's goal of 2050 net-zero carbon
Do you want to be part of an organization that has an ambitious plan to support the transition to net zero by 2050, and help to build a thriving, resilient future for Nova Scotians - then you belong here!The Opportunity
The Energy Data Engineer is responsible for the design, configuration, testing and maintenance of energy savings and incentive calculations in E1's Customer Information System (CIS). As new Efficiency Nova Scotia rebate programs are built in CIS, the Energy Data Engineer works with the rebate program team, the CIS development team, and others on the Portfolio Engineering team to understand technical and business requirements and lead the CIS design of energy savings and incentive calculations for that program. They then provide ongoing training and support for updates and changes to each program. The Energy Data Engineer manages CIS integrations with other applications and data products that are used for calculations. They are responsible for all internal CIS calculations and data transformations that reference project savings or incentives.
Two Energy Data Engineers work hand-in-hand to support the CIS development team. Together, as directed by the Manager of Portfolio Engineering, they bridge the gap in expertise between database experts on the CIS team and users of the CIS system and the data it generates. Day-to-day, they work as part of a team of CIS developers and administrators, representing the Portfolio Engineering department as stewards of engineering quality. They ensure that energy savings and incentive calculations follow established practices and produce high-quality data for reporting and analytics while meeting the needs of users.
The Energy Data Engineer works independently and as part of collaborative teams made up of individuals with very different levels of database expertise. They manage multiple ongoing projects, effectively communicating technical requirements and timelines. They have exceptional attention to detail and commitment to accuracy in their work and are motivated to find ways to make processes more valuable and efficient. They bring some prior knowledge of building science and/or energy consumption calculations, have a strong background in algebra, and willingness to learn.
What Will Help You Succeed?
- Responsible for leading the design, configuration, testing, and maintenance of all savings and incentive calculations in E1's Customer Information System (CIS).
- Act as one of two Portfolio Engineering team representatives for day-to-day Customer Information System( CIS) management tasks, including attending Customer Information System (CIS) team planning meetings and providing insight on the costs and benefits of different data configuration options.
- Work with various internal teams to understand business requirements and translate them to Customer Information System (CIS) configuration designs.
- Work in tandem with the Research and Development Engineering team and Service Delivery team to implement calculations for new energy efficiency measures in the Customer Information System (CIS).
- Build and test savings and incentive calculations and assist with deployments through database environments.
- Manage a backlog of Customer Information System (CIS) maintenance and continuous improvement tickets assigned by the Customer Information System (CIS) System Administrator and provide live support via MS Teams for high-priority issues.
- Balance competing design objectives such as internal user experience, customer experience, data granularity, and system maintenance complexity.
- As the subject matter expert in savings and incentive calculations, contribute to the development of standard reporting metrics and dashboards.
- Develop and deliver training on Customer Information System (CIS) savings and incentive calculations and associated maintenance processes.
- Execute other projects and responsibilities as assigned by the Manager, Portfolio Engineering.
- Adhere to occupational health and safety legislation as well as any related regulations and corporate requirements.
- Perform other duties as required.
What to expect in your first several weeks on the job:
- A degree in engineering and registered as either an Engineer-in-Training or a Professional Engineer. Engineering technologists may be considered if they have a strong background in energy engineering and/or database administration.
- Self-motivated, able to work independently, take initiative handle multiple tasks, and work to a high standard in an environment with tight deadlines.
- Very strong attention to detail and commitment to accuracy.
- Compassionate attitude towards working with internal stakeholders from all departments and balancing their competing priorities.
- Strong analytical skills along with excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively explain complex technical subjects to non-technical audiences, as well as experience writing technical documentation.
- Experience developing business requirements for data tracking systems is an asset.
- Advanced proficiency with MS Excel is an asset, particularly in manipulating large datasets and use of pivot tables.
- Proficiency with other MS Office 365 applications including Outlook, Teams, Word, and SharePoint.
- Proficiency with MS Power BI is an asset.
- Proficiency with Salesforce development is an asset, including the use of Flows.
- Knowledge of building science, energy modeling, and building mechanical and electrical systems is an asset.
- Experience calculating energy savings for common energy efficiency upgrades is an asset.
In The First Week, Expect To
In The First Month, Expect To
- Meet your new colleagues on the Portfolio Engineering team and learn about the role we play within the business.
- Meet with other employees on the Engineering Planning and Customer Information Systems (CIS) teams.
- Get set up with an E1 laptop, network login, and access to necessary software.
- Learn about E1's role in the energy transition and the types of projects we are involved in.
- Learn about E1's corporate targets and what's important to the company's overall success.
- Learn about the purpose of various E1 programs and the customer experience for each.
- Learn about the types of information that we track for each project, and why.
- Learn about critical internal and external reports, and what data they rely on
- Read company policies and process documents.
- Start attending CIS Operations Committee meetings with other database application specialists.
In The First Three Months, Expect To
- Shadow other team members through various CIS development and maintenance tasks
- Attend 1:1 training session with the other Energy Data Engineer and Manager, Portfolio Engineering
- Learn how data is structured in our CIS (energyOrbit, built on the Salesforce platform)
- Learn how to edit savings and incentive calculations in ESPCalcs, and how ESP interacts with the Customer Information System
- Learn about other external databases and how they interact with our Customer Information System
- Learn how data moves through the CIS, and what information is added throughout the life of a project.
- Learn about Salesforce Flows and SOQL reporting.
- Learn how our CIS interacts with our Data Warehouse
- Learn about our development, test, and production CIS and ESP environments, and how we handle deployments.
- Discover what projects are currently underway and how you might contribute.
- Take over responsibility for various CIS design and maintenance tasks.
- Coordinate with the CIS team to move your changes through environments.
- Configure, test, and deploy new programs with the help and oversight of the team.
- Handle requests for changes that were assigned to you through a backlog management ticketing system.
- Help interpret business requirements and suggest CIS configuration options that meet the business objective.
- Put together a plan for the rest of the year.
If you do not have all of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply anyway!
If you would like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your resume and cover letter, clearly articulating how you meet the above-noted qualifications. Applications can be submitted in confidence to Nicole Durdle at the link below.