Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those aren’t words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. You’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
When you join BMS, you are joining a diverse, high-achieving team united by a common mission.
The Informatics and Predictive Sciences (IPS) mission is to Pioneer, Partner and Predict to drive transformative insights for patient benefit. IPS conducts applied computational research in areas that include genomic, structural and molecular informatics, computational and systems biology, patient selection and translational biomarker research, and broader fields including knowledge science, epidemiology and machine learning—across the full lifecycle of drug discovery and development and across all therapeutic areas at BMS. We do this in close partnership with scientific and clinical experts in the field, both inside and outside the company. We perform innovative science to empower key data-driven decisions across a rich pipeline of next-generation medicines. In doing so, our work transforms the lives of patients, as well as our own lives and careers.
Here, you’ll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities that are uncommon in scale and scope. You’ll pursue innovative ideas while advancing professionally alongside some of the brightest minds in biopharma.
We are seeking a highly motivated data/machine learning engineer to join our Computational Tissue Imaging Research team in the Translational Bioinformatics organization. This team of computational imaging scientists is responsible for advancing Bristol-Myers Squibb’s industry-leading pipeline through the strategic application of cutting-edge tissue-based image analysis and bioinformatics approaches. The team collaborates with various internal stakeholders, including pathologists, biologists, and other bioinformaticians to understand mechanism of action (MoA) and identify novel tissue-based biomarkers. The team interacts with and impacts all aspects of R&D at BMS, from early discovery through late-stage development. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing & implementing tools to support the creation & deployment of advanced AI algorithms that analyze digital pathology whole slide images, contributing to breakthroughs in novel biomarker discovery and precision medicine.Responsibilities
- Design and implement robust data pipelines for ingesting, processing, and cleaning large pathology and cellular imaging datasets (e.g., whole-slide histology images, image annotations, slide/patient-level metadata, clinical endpoints).
- Develop & maintain databases to catalog AI models, annotations, and metadata.
- Deploy production-ready AI models using enterprise-grade solutions, ensuring scalability, reproducibility, and interpretability.
- Monitor and maintain model performance, track key metrics, and develop strategies for model improvement and re-training.
- Collaborate with data scientists, software engineers, and cloud architects to design & implement (or integrate with existing) data infrastructure and MLOps practices.
- Keep up to date on the latest developments in ML infrastructure and pipelines.
- Communicate technical findings effectively to scientific and non-technical audiences through presentations, reports, and documentation.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline with 5+ years of academic/industry experience;
- or Masters Degree in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline with 3+ years of experience;
- or PhD in Computer Science, Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline with 0 years of academic/industry experience
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesn’t perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages (Python, R, etc.) and data analysis tools (Jupyter Notebooks, Pandas, RStudio, etc.).
- Proficiency in building and deploying machine learning models (e.g., scikit-learn, TensorFlow, PyTorch).
- Profiency in container strategies such as Docker, ECS, and ECR.
- Experience with machine learning lifecycle management tools (e.g., MLflow).
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, etc.) and distributed computing frameworks (Spark, Hadoop) is a plus.
- Prior experience with developing machine learning pipelines for medical and/or cellular imaging tasks is preferred.
- Strong problem-solving and collaboration skills, and rigorous and creative thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including an ability to collaborate effectively with data scientists and to present coherently and concisely.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively, and to handle several concurrent, fast-paced projects.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as “Transforming patients’ lives through science™ ”, every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.On-site Protocol
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.