Applications close at 11:30 pm AEDT Tuesday 20th February 2024 (late applications will not be accepted).
The Australian Sports Commission is embarking on the Green and Gold decade. An exciting time filled with international sporting competitions on home soil, including the Men’s and Women’s Rugby World Cup, and culminating in the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games. We have an ambitious new Strategic Vision and we need the best players on our team to help us deliver real results for the sporting sector and all Australians.
Are you up for the challenge?
About the team – The Sport Intelligence & Analytics team leverages data to enhance athlete performance and deliver a competitive advantage to Australia’s high-performance system. The team delivers data engineering, data analytics, data science and data governance support and leads the administration of the Athlete Management System and AIS Hub digital platform for the Australian high-performance system.
About the role – We are currently seeking a Senior Data Scientist to support ASC strategic projects and lead a team of data scientists. They will manage the implementation of advanced analytical methods, techniques, and capabilities to analyse data, generate insights and drive evidence-informed decision making.
In consultation and collaboration with the Director Sport Intelligence & Analytics, the Senior Data Scientist will lead the activities of the data science team to achieve team and business outcomes. These include:
- Support the delivery of the high-performance data strategy and advance data governance best practice across the ASC.
- Lead the development of sport specific predictive models and system assessment processes to aid decision making, track campaign performance potential and support strategic business planning.
- Support identification and tracking of priority medal campaigns across all Olympic, Paralympic and Commonwealth Sports.
- Support ‘What It Takes To Win’ research across the high-performance network alongside key internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead the development and deployment of bespoke data pipelines and analytical applications aligned to WITTW research to answer key performance questions across the national high-performance network.
- Facilitate National Sporting Organisations and ASC teams to map their ‘data landscape’ and identify opportunities and challenges by working closely with performance leaders and staff across the network.
- Work with front-line data users to develop and deploy solutions to optimise and/or automate existing data capture, storage, analysis, or visualisation workflows using tools and technologies that are appropriate for the skills and capabilities of the end user to take on (e.g. Excel, Tableau, Streamlit, Power Bi, Power Apps, statistical analysis techniques).
- Provide compelling insights and data to support high performance decisions and business intelligence needs.
- Maintain code repositories and detailed project documentation.
- Support the maintenance of a network wide data catalogue/repository.
- Support the maintenance of all python web applications.
About you –
- Degree and/or higher qualification in data science, computer science, mathematics, economics, or a related field.
- Experience leading and managing a team of data professionals.
- Demonstrated experience working with Snowflake or SQL Server.
- Demonstrated experience working with SQL, Python and Streamlit.
- Demonstrated experience working with GitLab.
- Project or work experience wrangling and mining data.
- Project or work experience developing, deploying and evaluating statistical & ML models.
- Demonstrated ability to form and contribute to cohesive, collaborative and outcome driven cross organisational project teams.
- Strong and adaptable communication skills with the ability to drive network engagement and to gain confidence and respect with key stakeholders.
- Strong data storytelling and visualisation skills and the ability to communicate complex analytical and statistical concepts in an easy-to-understand fashion to non-technical stakeholders.
- Demonstrated capacity to provide timely, compelling and concise advice to inform senior management to support decision making.
- Affinity for and / or a keen knowledge and interest in high performance sport.
- Project management experience.
- Experience working with Tableau.
- Experience working with Jira.
- Experience working with Zendesk.
- Experience working with Athlete Management Systems.
This position is offered as an ONGOING position.
Why work with us?
We have offices located in Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney. Across all locations, we offer:
- Options for flexible working arrangements.
- Annual allowances towards training based on individualised career goals.
- Access to a customised ASC L&D calendar for ongoing professional and career development.
- Generous superannuation scheme with up to 15.4% employer contributions.
- Corporate discount on AIS Shop merchandise.
- Access to Clearinghouse for Sport, an information sharing platform for Sporting professionals.
Additionally, our Canberra campus offers:
- Free onsite parking
- Onsite facilities including a café, dining hall, gym, and swimming pool.
- Priority placement for your children to access the award winning, onsite AIS Caretaker’s Cottage Childcare Centre.
If you have any questions about this opportunity, please contact:
- Contact Officer: David Fulcher, Director Sports Intelligence & Analytics
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org