At Biogen, our mission is clear - we are pioneers in neuroscience. Biogen discovers, develops, and delivers worldwide innovative therapies for people living with serious neurological and neurodegenerative diseases. Together, our employees create, commercialize, and manufacture transformative therapies for our patient population.
We at Biogen are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients who we serve. We are focused on strengthening our foundation to advance our overall Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) strategy and, most importantly, ensure all our employees feel included.
As an intern or co-op at Biogen, you can expect to be placed on a real project, under the guidance of experienced professionals and subject matter experts who are invested in your career and academic growth. We also ensure that you have plenty of opportunities to build your network, learn more about our organization through weekly lunch and learns led by leaders from across the company, and join us for several fun events.Job Description
This application is for a 6-month student role from July - December 2024. Resume review begins in January 2024.
Our team is Computational Biology. The aim of our team is to perform high quality computational analysis on genomics/transcriptomics datasets, standardize NGS data analysis pipelines, and work on cutting edge computational tools and technologies. We collaborate closely with all discovery teams to perform computational analysis of NGS datasets. These includes analysis of DNAseq RNAseq, miRNAseq, snRNAseq to perform target identification, engagement and assessment.Position Description
Example Projects May Include
- Leverage GPU technology/packages to speed up single cell RNAseq analysis from weeks to days/hours.
- Implement machine learning algorithms and develop computational tools/packages
- Attend scheduled team bi-weekly meetings
- Give bi-weekly updates of progress.
- Develop an enhanced and swifter scRNA-seq analysis pipeline/tool that tackles the existing bottlenecks: 1. overcoming high memory costs that often surpass hardware limitations; 2. minimizing preprocessing time to avoid delays in target programs; 3. strengthening the ability to detect differential genes and crucial subcellular types. Address these challenges by integrating GPU computation, machine learning packages, and leveraging insights from recent scRNA-seq publications.
- Implement and validate computational tools on large scale public scRNAseq datasets.
- Strong programming experience in Python, Pytorch
- Extensive experience using UNIX Bash and high-performance computing (HPC)
- Solid knowledge of statistics and machine learning
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to collaborate effectively within a team
- Not required but a plus: Hands-on experience in single-cell RNA-seq analysis; related publications (deep learning, scRNAseq, etc.)
To participate in the Biogen Internship Program, students must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S.
- At least 18 years of age prior to the scheduled start date
- Be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university
- Have a graduation date no earlier than September 2024
The position is remote.Why Biogen?
Our mission to find therapies for neurological and rare diseases is a unique focus within our industry and this shared purpose is what connects us as a team. We work together to overcome obstacles and to follow the science. We are resilient as we strive to make an impact on our patients’ lives and on changing the course of medicine. Together, we pioneer. Together, we thrive.
At Biogen, we are committed to building on our culture of inclusion and belonging that reflects the communities where we operate and the patients we serve. We know that diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives make us a stronger and more innovative company, and we are focused on building teams where every employee feels empowered and inspired. Read on to learn more about our DE&I efforts.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, race, color, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Biogen is an E-Verify Employer in the United States.