Senior Data EngineerThe Opportunity
Leonardo is one of top ten largest defence companies globally, we make everything from helicopters to radios and have significant technological investment and products across Defence, Transport, Energy, Aerospace, Space and Manufacturing.
The Leonardo Cyber & Security Division, one of the three divisions in Leonardo UK, is a pivotal innovator, helping customers deliver and secure their digital transformation. The Cyber & Security Division is at the forefront of supplying technology and services for both civil and defence markets, in both the UK and around the world, to enhance the capabilities of its Customers. Within the Cyber & Security Division is our Data Practice which is where this role is positioned.
Leonardo’s Data practice works across a diverse array of sectors including Defence, Telecommunications, Energy and Finance to help secure national infrastructure in the UK and beyondWhat You Will Do As a Senior Data Engineer
This is a highly rewarding and hands on role with exposure across both traditional and cutting edge enterprise IT as well as bespoke Operational Technology systems. You will be working in a dynamic environment with a team that is motivated to deliver innovative solutions to customers within defence, government and commercial sectors. We are after creative, passionate, technically savvy and personable people to help grow our practice and solve some of the most challenging, exciting and critical challenges to the UK’s digital landscape.
Skills in Python and SQL are critical to this role as well as exposure to the data and machine learning lifecycle.
The role will include
- Designing, developing and maintaining solutions that manage the lifecycle of data (data acquisition, integration, storage, processing and supporting analysis) from a range of sources, whilst taking into account the security, compliance, scalability, efficiency, reliability, fidelity, flexibility and portability.
- Developing tools that help to provide data-driven solutions and automated tasks.
- Continuous testing and monitoring of systems to isolate errors quickly and improve overall performance
- Proactive learning and researching new technologies and software versions
- Demonstrating stakeholder engagement by communicating with the wider team to understand the functional and non-functional requirements of the data and the tool.
- Working with cloud technologies and different operating systems
- Supporting development and deployment of Machine Learning models
- Working closely alongside DevOps engineers, Data scientists and Data Analysts
- Working with big data technologies
What we are looking for
- UK DV Clearance or the ability to obtain it
- Demonstrable experience in data engineering
- Experience with Python
- Critical thinking and ability to problem solve
- Experience writing SQL (or similar) queries
- Experience with data warehousing and database systems (eg. SQL and NoSQL)
- Knowledge of Database Architecture
- Exposure to cloud technologies (eg. AWS and Azure)
- Experience with CI/CD
- Experience with developing data pipelines and data orchestration tools
- Implementation of ETL (Extraction, Transformation and Load) flows
- Willingness to learn
- Exposure to big data technologies and processes
- A degree or similar in a STEM, Data, AI or a Programming related subject (such as Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Artificial Intelligence) is preferable
- Experience with Big data technologies; experience of scaling code/ infrastructure
- Experience with different operating systems (eg. Windows and Linux)
- Exposure to Apache products e.g. Hive, Spark, Hadoop, NiFi
- Knowledge of ITIL and TOGAF
- Knowledge of ML algorithms, their development and implementation
- Database tuning
- Exposure to Splunk
- Exposure to Talend
- REST API experience
- Exposure to Terraform
- Exposure to Docker
This is not an exhaustive list, and we are keen to hear from you even if you don’t tick every box. The most important skill is a good attitude and willingness to learn.
At Leonardo UK, we believe that a diverse and inclusive work environment unlocks our people’s full potential and drives innovation and creativity. We work hard to offer a welcoming, accessible and inclusive place to work for all of our people, creating a culture where everyone can thrive, feel safe and have a sense of belonging and connection. We therefore welcome candidates from all backgrounds and particularly encourage sections of the community who are currently underrepresented within our industry, including women, Black, Asian and ethnic minority backgrounds, people with disabilities and LGBTQI+ individuals to apply.Security Clearance
You must be eligible for full security clearance. For more information and guidance please visit https //www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levelsLife at Leonardo
With a company funded benefits package, a commitment to learning and development, and a flexible approach to working hours focused on the needs of both our employees and customers, a career with Leonardo has never offered as many opportunities or been more accessible to as many people.
- Flexible Working Flexible hours with hybrid working options. For part time opportunities, please talk to us
- Company funded flexible benefits Access to private healthcare, dental schemes, Workplace ISA, Go Green Car Scheme, technology and lifestyle options (£500 annual allowance)
- Holidays 25 days plus bank holidays, option to buy/sell leave and to accrue up to 12 additional flexi leave days per year
- Pension Award winning pension scheme (up to 10% employer contribution)
- Wellbeing Employee Assistance Programme with access to free mental health support, financial wellbeing support and network groups to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to diversity & inclusion (Enable, Pride, Equalise, Reservists, Carers)
- Lifestyle Discounted Gym membership, Cycle to work scheme
- Training Free access to more than 4000 online courses via Coursera
- Referral Incentive You can earn a reward for successfully referring a friend or family member
- Bonus Scheme in place for all employees at management level and below
For a full list of our Company benefits please visit our website.
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security. Headquartered in Italy, Leonardo has over 45,000 employees, of which 8,000 are based at 8 sites throughout the UK.Primary Location
GB - Bristol - Coldharbour LaneContract Type