Data Scientist, Analytics (12 month FTC)
Location: London, UKAbout Argus
Argus is the leading independent provider of market intelligence to the global energy and commodity markets. We offer essential price assessments, news, analytics, consulting services, data science tools and industry conferences to illuminate complex and opaque commodity markets.
Headquartered in London with 1,300 staff, Argus is an independent media organisation with 29 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading hubs. Companies, trading firms and governments in 160 countries around the world trust Argus data to make decisions, analyse situations, manage risk, facilitate trading and for long-term planning. Argus prices are used as trusted benchmarks around the world for pricing transportation, commodities and energy.
Founded in 1970, Argus remains a privately held UK-registered company owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor.
Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network. Our core values are Excellence, Integrity, Partnership and Inclusivity.
What we’re looking for
As a Data Scientist (Analytics), you will play a key role in advancing Argus’ automatic machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) capabilities, with a specific focus on optimization. You will work on some of the most innovative and impactful data science products in the industry, such as:
- The Argus Data Science Studio, which is a powerful new modelling tool that enables our clients to perform advanced analytics, trading, hedging and risk management decisions using our rich and diverse data sets.
- Argus Possibility Curves (APC), which use a combination of statistical and machine learning tools to produce probabilistic forecasts that capture the uncertainty and volatility of the markets.
- Argus Forward Curves, which are built from unbiased and transparent industry-specific methodologies that produce representative market values free from distortion.
Much of the algorithms involve programming in R (including R Shiny). We envisage that Python will also be used in the future.
Skills And Experience
- Developing and deploying improved optimization algorithms across Argus’ data science applications, using the latest techniques and best practices in the field.
- Staying up-to-date with the latest developments and trends in optimization, and applying them to our solutions.
- Reviewing existing data science applications and developing novel statistical and automated machine learning approaches that enhance their performance and functionality.
- Contributing to the development of model selection and model diagnostic techniques for statistical and machine learning models.
- Maintaining and developing algorithm techniques in R and running extensive benchmarks.
- Developing and maintaining time series models of commodity prices dynamics to capture and forecast their behaviour and patterns.
- Maintaining documentation per company standards.
- Writing production-level code (clean, and well-documented code)
- At least a masters level qualification (or equivalent experience) in one of the following fields:
- Computer Science
- another quantitative field with a substantial statistics component (for instance, knowledge of time series analysis, probabilistic forecasting and statistical modelling).
- Experience using statistical and machine learning techniques for model development such as:
- Optimization algorithms (e.g. linear programming, genetic algorithms, gradient descent)
- Time series analysis
- Probabilistic forecasting
- Statistical modelling
- Experience in model validation
- Experience in production-level coding with advanced R coding skills
- Maker mindset & self-directed
- Ability to initiate and execute projects independently
- Willingness to learn new skills and technologies
- Creativity and innovation in problem-solving
- Collaboration and communication with other team members
- Passion for open source
What’s in it for you
Our rapidly growing, award-winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognizes and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working environment
- 25 days holiday
- Extensive internal and external training
For more details about the company and to apply please make sure you upload your CV via our website: www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
By submitting your job application, you automatically acknowledge and consent to the collection, use and/or disclosure of your personal data to the Company. Argus is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.