We're Policy Expert, a home and motor insurance provider and we're on a mission to shake up the personal insurance industry. We feel that insurers have under-served customers for too long with confusing policies, expensive renewals and frustrating claims processes. It is time to put customers first!
Since we formed in 2011, we've been using breakthrough thinking and proprietary tech to provide insurance that's clear, fair and great value. And people like what we do. So much so that we now have well over one million customers, driven by our double-digit growth. We also take great pride in having been the UK's No.1-rated home insurance provider for 9 years.
We have big aspirations. Our 'North Star' is 'To be the most successful insurance disruptor people want to stay with for life'. As we grow, we plan on continuing to challenge the norms of an insurance industry whose reputation for customer trust is low, where switching between providers is high and insurance cover is often seen as a costly 'grudge purchase'.
We aim to build longer and deeper relationships with our customers and to help them see insurance as being a help, not a hindrance.
Recently, we have been awarded an Outstanding 2 star accreditation and now rank within the Top 100 Best Large Companies 2023 to work for - https://www.b.co.uk/accreditation/2-starAbout Data Science and ML at Policy Expert
This is an exciting time for us as we setup a dedicated Data Science and Machine Learning team to support our ambitious growth plans. We'll be able to continue developing our market leading pricing models, but this is just the start. The team will give us the ability to create a best in class customer experience, starting from acquisition and continuing all the way through to claims. We'll be able to understand who our customers are in a detail that's not been possible before.
We've got a huge amount of backing from our leadership team, allowing us to make decisions quickly and react to an ever-changing market. This autonomy gives us the edge over competition and allows us to stay nimble as we scale. The next 24 months will be pivotal as Policy Expert embarks on its new chapter.What you'll be doing
As a Machine Learning Engineer you'll be working with our Data Scientists to get their models into production and working to deliver for the business.
Activities will include:
What we're looking for from you
- Leading the tuning and deployment of advanced Machine Learning models to tackle real business problems.
- Work with Data Scientists to ensure Machine Learning models are production ready and code meets quality standards.
- Create test strategy to ensure ML pipelines are robust.
- Tuning of application run-times to ensure runtime SLA's are consistently being met, and any over runs are investigated.
- Design and develop new ML applications and techniques which will act as a meaningful competitive differentiator for the company.
What we offer
- You have experience developing and shipping ML applications to production and delivering business impact.
- You have extensive experience writing production Python code and a strong command of SQL.
- You are experienced writing critical production code and working with microservices.
- Ideally you will have experience working with the AWS SageMaker, or similar services.
- You're excited about fast-moving developments in Machine Learning and can communicate those ideas to colleagues who are not familiar with the domain.
- You're comfortable working in a cross functional team and communicating about your work to technical and non-technical colleagues.
- Knowledge of the insurance industry would be an advantage but not essential
We want everyone to feel valued and rewarded in their work. We therefore offer all employees:
- Private medical cover with Vitality
- Dental Insurance
- Hybrid working
- Training and education through LinkedIn learning and Plurasight
- Travel season ticket loan
- Social events through the year
- Access to selected London O2 events and use of a Private Lounge.
- Employee Wellbeing Programme
We pride ourselves on being an equal opportunity employer. We treat all applications equally and recruit purely on the basis of an individual's skills, knowledge and experience. The quality and growing diversity of our people backs this up.