About The Company
Picklebet is an Australian owned and operated, next generation esports, sports and racing betting platform and media brand based in Brisbane.
After continued growth, they are looking to expand their development capabilities for their in-house Data technology stack. Joining as part of a growing team, they need smart and self-motivated people to help them to become a major player both in Australia and internationally.About The Role
They’re looking for a skilled Data Engineer to strengthen their data systems and ensure smooth data flow across the organization.
As a Data Engineer your focus will be on designing, building, and maintaining their data architecture. You’ll work on creating efficient data pipelines, collaborating with teams, and troubleshooting data-related issues.
The ideal candidate has a strong background in data engineering, covering: data modelling, ETL processes, and database management. Your role is crucial in establishing a scalable and reliable data ecosystem that supports the organisation’s goals. Adaptability and problem-solving skills are key as you navigate the evolving data landscape.
Reporting to the Head of Data and Analytics, you’ll be a vital member of the data engineering team, contributing to innovation and enhancing the overall data infrastructure. The organisation has a modern approach to Data and Analytics and encourages a holistic DataOps approach to Data Management. While the organisation grows, the Technology Stack will likely evolve and you’ll be given the opportunity to work with modern Cloud and Data Technology.Responsibilities
Skills And Experience
- Maintain and optimize the data warehouse, adhering to DataOps principles.
- Develop and manage efficient data pipelines from various sources.
- Create and update documentation for architecture and systems.
- Write high-quality, efficient code to ensure data reliability.
- Implement DataOps philosophy throughout data processes.
- Plan and execute system expansions to meet growth and analytic requirements.
- Collaborate with analysts to enhance operational efficiency.
- Address data needs across business functions and ensure data governance.
- Design, optimisation and management of data warehouses
- Commercial Cloud experience
- SQL and Python experience
- Snowflake, Postgres and/or DBT experience highly regarded
- Turnkey ETL tooling (Fivetran, SSIS, Teradata, etc.)
- Orchestration tooling (Airflow, Dagster, etc.)
- Cloud service management, preferably IaC tools on AWS or GCP (Terraform etc.) beneficial
- Experience integrating data from SaaS tools such as advertising platforms (e.g. Google Ads) and CRMs (e.g. Hubspot).
- Experience ingesting and standardizing data from heterogeneous data vendors.
- Solid data modelling experience, preferably Kimball and/or Data Vault.
- A solid grasp of software engineering fundamentals; including Git, CI/CD, and automation.
- Ability to communicate architecture and process to an engineering audience.
- Startup mindset: team player, hustle and self-motivated.
- 3+ years’ experience in Data Engineering, preferably with a strong software engineering background.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- An interest in one or more of the following would be beneficial; betting, esports, gaming, financial markets and/or sports.
Working at Picklebet
- A curious mindset and a genuine need to solve problems and have meaningful impact through Data.
- Solid understanding of system architecture and horizontally-oriented optimisation.
- Excellent technical skills, and the ability to work in a team.
- A strong desire to do world class work and own your role.
- You don’t need to be a marketer or trader, but a working knowledge of marketing and bookmaking principles will serve you well.
How To Apply
- They are hungry for insights and have a strong culture of data-driven decision-making: your input will be highly valued and acted upon.
- Their employees make a material impact on the growth of the business within an egalitarian culture.
- They’re a remote-first business so you can work where you like (they have staff in Brisbane, Sydney, Darwin, Asia and South America).
- If you prefer to spend some time in the office, you can also work out of the Newstead (Brisbane) office. They also have a presence in Sydney, and expect that to grow as they scale.
- They make decisions quickly, encourage taking calculated risks and trying new things.
- They respectfully challenge each other to be better every day and radical (respectful) candor is one of core values.
- Work with a highly effective team of seasoned operators from some of Australia’s best brands including: Kayo Sports, Sportsbet, Dominos, Ladbrokes, Domain, PwC, Virgin Australia and more.
- In addition to competitive salaries, they offer an employee stock ownership plan to allow the team members to share in their success.
- A relaxed dress code; they aren’t a bank! Sneakers & a tee is fine.
- They serve the Australian market (for now) but their aspirations are international and their tech has been built to scale across borders.
If you are a forward-thinking Data Engineer with a passion for delivering and unearthing value while solving business problems, please apply and suitable candidates will be contacted for a further conversation.