TriNet is a leading provider of comprehensive human resources solutions for small to midsize businesses (SMBs). We enhance business productivity by enabling our clients to outsource their HR function to one strategic partner and allowing them to focus on operating and growing their core businesses. Our full-service HR solutions include features such as payroll processing, human capital consulting, employment law compliance and employee benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans and workers’ compensation insurance.
TriNet has a nationwide presence and an experienced executive team. Our stock is publicly traded on the NYSE under the ticker symbol TNET. If you’re passionate about innovation and making an impact on the large SMB market, come join us as we power our clients’ business success with extraordinary HR.Don't meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single requirement. At TriNet, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every single qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles.
A Brief Overview
The Principal Data Scientist is a foundational role within our newly created Data Science department within Finance. We are looking for a strong candidate who has technical prowess and equally importantly the ability to understand and link insights and models to the business for immediate impact. As Finance develops its new data infrastructure and strategy, this candidate will be expected to provide input and create scalable solutions to deploy production-ready models to tackle critical business opportunities. They will develop and code software programs, algorithms, and automated processes to cleanse, integrate and evaluate large datasets from multiple disparate sources. This position will have frequent interactions with the Senior/Executive leadership at TriNet and the ideal candidate should be able to craft compelling data-driven stories to get executive buy-in and generate profitable growth for the company.Locations
United States (Remote)What You Will Do
- Impact and influence: Demonstrates persistence in the face of roadblocks, dispatching them efficiently and pulling in others to help as necessary, sooner rather than later. Demonstrates the initiative to fix issues before being explicitly assigned to them. Delivers increasingly complex product features that are well-baked and bug-free. Has end-to-end responsibility on product building-blocks, or entire products, which are increasingly complex over time; contributes to common code. Identifies & proactively tackles technical debt before it grows to be too large i.e. into debt that requires significant upfront work to resolve. Scopes & stages work into well-defined milestones to avoid monolithic deliverable; is constantly working to make accurate timeline estimates and deliver to those estimates.
- Leadership and teamwork: Seeks and uses empirical evidence through proof of concepts / tests / external research when identifying and articulating problems / risks of their own work or others. Provides mentorship to junior teammates via pairing, design and code reviews. Demonstrates an understanding of the business impact and business units impacted by the work completed on the team and uses that understanding to drive requirements that take into account all parties' needs. Consistently exhibits empathy for the user of the software being built and uses that as a guide for decision-making. Takes initiative to identify and solve high-impact problems, coordinating with others on cross-cutting technical issues. Helps set the direction at the project / service level and consistently influences decision-making at the team level.
- Communication: Regularly and effectively communicates technical decisions through design docs, tech talks, and internal team platforms. Practices communicating across functional groups to become better at effective cross-group communication, ultimately enabling the ability to work well with individuals and teams across different groups and with different incentive structures (e.g. product management, collaborators, stakeholders, etc). Proactively identifies and vocalizes challenges with requirements for both their own work and adjacent work (for example, lack of clarity, inconsistencies, technical limitations). Communicates industry-wide and sets team-wide best standards. Understands the tradeoffs between technical, analytical, & product needs and communicates the best solution that manages those tradeoffs and takes all of these needs into account. Proactively identifies and proposes strategies around technical problems affecting their team.
- Software development and engineering skills: Contributes to and is able to work in other areas of the larger team's codebase. Develop and code software programs, algorithms and automate processes to cleanse, integrate and evaluate large data sets from multiple disparate sources.
- Statistical inference and mathematical modeling understands and makes well-reasoned design decisions and tradeoffs in their area of data science work. Demonstrates the ability to dive into current data sources with minimal to no guidance and ideates on sources for additional data where gaps are apparent. Comfortable with inherent initial ambiguity of iterative data science cycle, and independently takes on modeling and analysis tasks. Demonstrates the ability to identify, then learn, new data processing technologies where needed. Consistently able to independently troubleshoot and resolves / debugs issues. Demonstrates knowledge of industry trends, and the team and company's infrastructure and build system (including bitbucket / git / 4D). Anticipates potential challenges and technical issues with implementing different modeling techniques and makes data and model implementation design decisions to avoid them. Owner of & expert on large sections of our codebase. Responsible for eliciting data science problem formulation from partner teteams andchieve agreement & alignment from them.
- Master's Degree in a STEM related field or equivalent experience preferred
- PhD preferred
Skills And Abilities
- 12 years of related experience with a bachelor's degree; or 8 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 5 years related experience.
- Prior experience in Data Science, business and/or financial analytics preferred.
- Proficient experience in programming languages such as Python or R, and experience with data manipulation and analysis tools like SQL, Pandas, or NumPy.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of corporate data
- Excellent interpersonal, presentation and facilitation skills
- Seeks opportunities to contribute and make an impact; takes initiative and ensures collaborative involvement from all stakeholders.
- Ability to navigate change and conflict in a manner that seeks to understand first and reflects TriNet’s Leadership Profile reflecting high emotional intelligence and resiliency.
- Business-minded leadership, with proven experience and contributing key insights that have helped the organization execute and grow.
- Deep technical expertise in Data Science, Analytics, or related fields. Relevant experience with predictive ML classification and regression models.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to explain technical concepts and insights to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to complete routine work with little to no supervision and instruction, and general instruction over new projects or assignments.
- Demonstrates ability to work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Capable of applying a full understanding of area of specialization to resolve a wide range of issues in creative ways.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace -Ability to adapt to a fast paced continually changing business and work environment while managing multiple priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Work in clean, pleasant, and comfortable home or office setting with reliable internet. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The salary range for this role is $119,200 to $314,800. The candidate’s final salary offer will be based on the candidate’s skills, education, work location and experience.
A candidate’s compensation may also include bonuses consistent with TriNet’s corporate bonus plan.
Additionally, subject to applicable eligibility requirements, TriNet offers permanent full-time employees a variety of benefits including medical, dental, and vision plans, life and disability insurance, a 401(K) savings plan, an employee stock purchase plan, eleven (11) Company observed holidays, PTO and a comprehensive leave program. Please click the following link for detailed information about our benefits offerings: https://www.trinet.com/documents/blt5b61a1040aae1904
Please Note: TriNet reserves the right to change or modify job duties and assignments at any time. The above job description is not all encompassing. Position functions and qualifications may vary depending on business necessity.
TriNet is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants based on race, religion, color, disability, medical condition, legally protected genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, veteran status or other legally protected characteristics. Any applicant with a mental or physical disability who requires an accommodation during the application process should contact email@example.com to request such an accommodation.