Senior Data Engineer – Data MeasurementDisney Entertainment & ESPN Technology
On any given day at Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology, we’re reimagining ways to create magical viewing experiences for the world’s most beloved stories while also transforming Disney’s media business for the future. Whether that’s evolving our streaming and digital products in new and immersive ways, powering worldwide advertising and distribution to maximize flexibility and efficiency, or delivering Disney’s unmatched entertainment and sports content, every day is a moment to make a difference to partners and to hundreds of millions of people around the world.A few reasons why we think you’d love working for Disney Entertainment & ESPN Technology
- Building the future of Disney’s media business: DE&E Technologists are designing and building the infrastructure that will power Disney’s media, advertising, and distribution businesses for years to come.
- Reach & Scale: The products and platforms this group builds and operates delight millions of consumers every minute of every day – from Disney+ and Hulu, to ABC News and Entertainment, to ESPN and ESPN+, and much more.
- Innovation: We develop and execute groundbreaking products and techniques that shape industry norms and enhance how audiences experience sports, entertainment & news.
Engineering Services designs, builds, and sustains technology that powers DE&E Technology’s worldwide content production and distribution platforms. In doing so, they contribute to a series of cross-functional services and technologies, including Quality Assurance, Data Analytics, Software Development, Broadcast Infrastructure, and Networking & Security.
The Data Measurement team profiles, audits, certifies, and communicates the consistency, accuracy, availability, and resilience of our data. We build, maintain, and monitor thousands of signals required to ensure that our data can be used to drive critical insights on our business, to provide quality input to our machine learning models, and to serve as a foundation for the innovation and creativity required to move us forward as the world’s premier streaming service.Job Summary:
Describe what the person will do in the role - how he/she will impact the organization.
As a Senior Data Engineer on the Data Measurement team, you will provide the technical and business skills to ensure Disney data is trusted. The ideal candidate will help to define, measure, support and certify the data pipelines and systems that serve data to our business and millions of users. Core responsibilities for this position include:
- Leverage your skills in SQL, Scala, and Python to build models that measure and evaluate the quality, consistency, resilience, accuracy, and availability of our data
- Provide intuitive metrics that show stakeholders the “state” of their data in actionable form
- Build and automate data rules to verify data meets boundary conditions and alerts data owners/consumers when boundary conditions are met
- Automate processes, procedures, and workflows to ease data certification process
- Collaborate with engineering, management, product, and business teams to improve data reliability across products and projects
- Software Engineering & Design 50% of the time
- Stakeholder Engagement 20% of the time
- Monitoring & Research 30% of the time
- BS in Mathematics, Information Systems or related degree/experience
- 5+ years experience in data engineering
- Ability to read/write complex SQL queries to analyze data, investigate systemic defects
- Familiarity with statistical methods for assessing and evaluating data
- 3+ years experience working with at least one or more industry-standard database technologies (mySql, Snowflake, Hive)
- 3+ years of experience in programming languages like Python or Scala/Java
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills that translate across technical and business domains
- Team-oriented and independently motivated to deliver results
- Patience and resilience in working with the sometimes ambiguous requirements that characterize innovation projects
- Proficiency in using reporting tools like Tableau or Looker
- Proficiency in git or similar version control tools
- Proficiency in machine learning model development
- Experience working in big data environments (Hadoop, S3, HBase)
- Experience with Python, SQL, and stakeholder engagement
The hiring range for this position in Santa Monica, CA is $136,038.00 to $182,490.00 per year and in New York City, NY and Seattle, WA is $142,600.00 to $191,100.00. The base pay actually offered will take into account internal equity and also may vary depending on the candidate’s geographic region, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience among other factors. A bonus and/or long-term incentive units may be provided as part of the compensation package, in addition to the full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits, dependent on the level and position offered.