Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success.
Are you excited about Big Data? Our Data Platform Engineering team provides Operations, Database Engineering/Administration, data curation, and data platforms to a wide range of internal Groupon Engineers and Analysts. Our team is the heart of all data operations at Groupon and is responsible for the data being accessible for all customers at any time. We are ready to adopt and explore any new technology that lands into Groupon to ensure usability for all customers.
In this role, you would be supporting Groupon move to the cloud for long term success. You would also be able to advance in your career and work on a modern day Data Lake Cloud Strategy with a global team! We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about databases and someone who will ensure these databases are always available for our customers.
We're a best of both worlds kind of company. We're big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We're curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a great way to grow your career? Let's get into the details:
Can data really help local businesses around the world thrive?
Are you a passionate, energetic technology enthusiast eager to work at a rapid pace with the flexibility to work across a broad tech stack?
Groupon is an experiences marketplace that brings people more ways to get the most out of their city or wherever they may be. By enabling real-time mobile commerce across local businesses, live events, and travel destinations, Groupon helps people find and discover experiences––big and small, new and familiar––that make for a full, fun, and rewarding life. Groupon helps local businesses grow and strengthen customer relationships––resulting in strong, vibrant communities. With employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking, and celebrates success. Our culture encourages employees to embrace change, adapt to new circumstances, and find creative solutions to the challenges we face.
Does that sound like a great way to grow your career? Let’s get into the details:
As a global company that works with both local businesses and consumers, Groupon has a wealth of data, which is stored and processed on our ever-evolving data platform. As a Data Engineer, you will handle the full development life-cycle of Groupon data applications. Our Data Engineers collaborate with product managers and other engineering teams to design and build streaming and batch data applications for the business to enable consistently informed management decisions and also provide customers and merchants with personalized experience.You’ll spend time on the following:
We’re excited about you if you have:
- Analyze & translate functional specifications & change requests into technical specifications.
- Design, Develop, and Implement ETL framework for Enterprise DW system.
- Executing unit tests and validating expected results; iterating until test conditions have passed Translate business needs into end-user applications.
- Ensure accuracy & integrity of data & applications through analysis, coding, writing clear documentation & problem resolution.
- Troubleshoot and remediate issues impacting processes in the ETL framework.
- Modifying existing code to provide defect fixes for existing ETLs.
- Coordinate and Collaborate with the ETL team and business users to implement all ETL procedures for all new projects and maintain effective awareness of all production activities according to required standards and provide support to all existing applications.
- Provide support to all ETL schedules and maintain compliance to same and develop and maintain various standards to perform ETL codes and maintain an effective project life cycle on all ETL processes.
- Keep abreast of the tools, techniques, and components being used in the industry through research and applies this knowledge to the system(s) being developed.
We value engineers who are:
- Having 3+ years of hands-on experience with all aspects of design, developing, testing, and implementing ETL (data warehousing) solutions.
- Experience in working with MPP systems (Hadoop, Hive, Spark)
- Advanced scripting skills - Python + Basics of Unix/Linux Shell scripting
- Advanced hands-on experience in SQL and Database technologies (Teradata (preferred) /Oracle/Mysql/Bigquery)
- Working experience in cloud data warehouse systems (GCP is a preference)
- Experience with performance optimization and Production support.
- Solid understanding of SDLC, software best practices, and development methodologies
- Experience with packaging and release management.
- Strong analytical and diagnostic skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Groupon’s purpose is to build strong communities through thriving small businesses.
- Customer-focused: We believe that doing what’s right for the customer is ultimately what will drive our business forward.
- Obsessed with Quality: Your Production code Just Works & scales linearly
- Team players. You believe that more can be achieved together. You listen to feedback and also provide supportive feedback to help others grow/improve.
- Fast learners: We are willing to disrupt our existing business to trial new products and solutions. You love learning how to use new technologies and then rapidly apply them to new problems.
- Pragmatic: We do things quickly to learn what our customers desire. You know when it’s appropriate to take shortcuts that don’t sacrifice quality or maintainability.
- Owners: Engineers at Groupon know how to positively impact the business.
To learn more about the world’s largest local ecommerce marketplace, click here. You can also find out more about us in the latest Groupon news as well as learning about our DEI approach. If all of this sounds like something that’s a great fit for you, then click apply and join us on a mission to become the ultimate destination for local experiences and services.Beware of Recruitment Fraud:
Groupon follows a merit-based recruitment process without charging job seekers any fees. We've noticed an increase in recruitment fraud, including fake job postings and fraudulent interviews and job offers aimed at stealing personal information or money. Be cautious of individuals falsely representing Groupon's Talent Acquisition team with fake job offers. If you encounter any suspicious job offers or interview calls demanding money, recognize these as scams. Groupon is not responsible for losses from such dealings. For legitimate job openings, always check our official careers website at grouponcareers.com.