Truthfulness | Fairness | Value | Loyalty
As one of Canada's largest insurance providers, Western has more than 220 locations across Canada. With over 2,100 team members, our actions are anchored in our Guiding Principles, Truthfulness, Fairness, Value, and Loyalty. We take care to deliver the right insurance solution every time so our customers can live confidently.
Western is looking for a talented and passionate data scientist to join our Business Intelligence and Analytics team. Reporting to the Senior Manager, you will be responsible for leveraging data and machine learning techniques to discover strategic insights and provide prescriptive solutions that solves key business challenges and enhance our customer experience.
As a data scientist you will leverage your practical experience in applying varied data science techniques in the design, development and implementation of analytics use cases (like retention, cross-sell, and customer lifetime value). You have a passion for problem solving and can articulate a business problem into a technical one and can use coding languages like Python and SQL with ease.
Here is what a typical day looks like
- Collaborate with business partners and peers in the organization to understand and scope the problem, gather business requirements, and plan projects tasks and timelines.
- Combining quantitative data (operational, financial, marketing, and human resources) with business domain knowledge, you will transform them into predictive models that provide usable insights that improves Western’s bottom-line.
- Execute all aspects of analytics initiatives including data wrangling, exploratory data analysis, machine learning model development, model evaluation and benefit estimation.
- Communicate analysis, insights, and results to manager, peers, and business partners tailoring the communication based on the audience.
- Monitor production model performance and retrain models where needed.
- Build out code in usable packages and develop analytical datasets to be reused for future models.
The value you bring
- Master's degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Decision Sciences, Data Science, Actuarial Science, or related analytical STEM field
- 5+ years' related experience (P&C Insurance experience is strongly preferred)
- Extensive knowledge of statistical techniques (including but not limited to Regression, Classification and Neural Networks expertise) and CRSIP-DM or similar methodologies.
- In-depth coding skills, ability to write production level code in Python (Scikit-learn, Pandas, Matplotlib, Seaborn, Tensor flow or Pytorch) and SQL (for data extraction and wrangling).
- Proven track record of formulating a business problem into a Machine Learning problem, interpreting model results and monitoring model performance.
- Ability to present technical content to a non-technical audience (great at storytelling).
- Demonstrated ability to be self-directed and contribute to a team environment.
Hours: 37.5 hours/week
Location: Winnipeg, MB (Remote eligible)
Salary Range: $68,000 - $102,000
Job Requisition #: 80335
What if I don’t meet every requirement?
If you’re excited about the role but your experience doesn’t check every box – we still encourage you to apply. You may be the right person for this role – or we might have another that suits you even better!
At Western, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace in the communities we work and live in If you have questions or require accommodation, please reach out to us.
Health and Wellness
We take pride in providing programs that add value to our people’s lives – after all, they are our greatest asset. Eligible employees receive a competitive compensation package consisting of 3 weeks’ vacation, 14 wellness days, company matching investment and savings programs, and 100% employer-paid group benefits, including a health care spending account.
For over 20 years, supporting our local communities has been a part of everything we do – it’s engrained in our culture though the Western Financial Group Communities Foundation.