This position is located in the Reports and Analysis Branch, Office of Science Policy, Planning, and Communications (OSPPC), Office of the Director (OD), National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH), National Institute of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).
- Designing and implementing strategies, methodologies, and tools to collect data that is relevant, accurate, and representative of the target population or phenomenon of interest. Preparing the data and ensuring its suitability for the intended use (e.g., storage, analysis, or modeling) by cleaning, wrangling, and formatting the data. Organizing, storing, and maintaining data in a way that optimizes access patterns, security, and accommodates different data types and characteristics.
- Using computational/statistical techniques for analyzing data. This includes applying the algorithms and methods that underlie artificial intelligence (AI), data mining, machine learning, and statistical inference to gain knowledge or insights, build classifiers and predictors, or infer causality.
- Representing data and information visually through graphical or interactive means such as charts, graphs, maps, or dashboards. Explaining what the visualized data means considering context, point, implications, and possible ramifications.
- Developing, implementing, or leading data science initiatives, programs, or strategies while ensuring compliance, managing teams/resources, evaluating proposals, and maintaining reproducible work procedures. Developing, implementing, modifying, or providing recommendations on data visualization, healthcare AI, and other data science tools (e.g., machine learning).
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of a background investigation, verification of qualifications, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, and any other job-related requirement before or after appointment.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- This position has a Basic Education requirement; please provide transcripts.
Basic Education Requirement
In order to qualify for the Data Scientist GS-1560 position, you must:
In addition to the Basic Education Requirement, you qualify at the GS-12 level, if you meet the following qualification requirement:
- Possess a bachelor's degree, or graduate/higher level degree with a major study in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science, or a field that is directly related to the position; OR,
- Possess a combination of education (at least 30 semester hours) and additional appropriate/related experience that is the equivalent to a major in mathematics, statistics, computer science, data science or a field directly related to the position.
You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of qualifying experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: performing data collection, preprocessing, and analysis by applying programming languages (e.g., R, Python), feature engineering, advanced statistical methods/techniques (e.g., MANOVA, Bayesian Analysis), and machine learning/AI tools; implementing machine learning/AI tools (e.g., NLP, DP, RL) to extract insights from data; and summarizing data analysis results using data visualization tools, programming languages, and software applications (e.g., MATLAB, Tableau) to prepare presentations for external stakeholders.In addition to the Basic Education Requirement, you qualify at the GS-13 level, if you meet the following qualification requirement:
You must demonstrate in your resume at least one (1) year of qualifying experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector, performing the following types of tasks: enhancing data collection, preprocessing, and analysis activities by implementing/adapting programming language codes (e.g., R, Python), feature engineering, advanced statistical methods/techniques (e.g., MANOVA, Bayesian Analysis), and machine learning/AI tools; adapting and implementing machine learning and Artificial Intelligence techniques (e.g., NLP, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning) to extract insights from unstructured data; explaining findings using data visualization tools, programming languages, and software applications (e.g., MATLAB, Tableau); and explaining data science concepts to stakeholders (e.g., researchers, leadership) to build consensus in planning data initiatives (e.g., data collection, preprocessing, analysis, reporting).
You will receive credit for all experience material to the position, including experience gained in religious, civic, welfare, service, and organizational activities, regardless of whether you received pay.
Do not copy and paste the duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire from this announcement into your resume as that will not be considered a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.Preview Assessment Questionnaire Before You Apply
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Additional selections may be made for similar positions across the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) within the local commuting area(s) of the location identified in this announcement. By applying, you agree to have your application shared with interested selecting official(s) at HHS. Clearance of CTAP/ICTAP will be applied for similar positions across HHS.
The position(s) advertised in this announcement are covered by a direct hire authority. Traditional rating and ranking of applicants, including category rating, does not apply to this vacancy. You will be initially evaluated against the basic qualifications only. Qualified applicants will be referred for consideration in accordance with the . Veterans' Preference does not apply to positions covered by a direct hire authority.
To determine your qualifications and referral status, we may review your resume and supporting documentation and compare it against your responses to the vacancy questionnaire. Ensure you support your self-ratings by the information you provide in your application. We may verify or assess your qualifications at any time. Inflated or unsupported qualifications may affect your rating. Any misrepresentation or material omission of facts may be sufficient cause to end further consideration of your candidacy. Persons listed as having knowledge of your past accomplishments or experience in your application may be contacted for verification purposes at any time. Verification may, but need not, begin prior to receiving an offer.
To be considered well qualified for the purposes of the and the , you must be able to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position upon entry and substantively exceed the basic qualifications and meet all eligibility, physical, medical, suitability, and all other requirements.
REQUIRED FOR ALL APPLICANTS
Your resume must thoroughly describe how your skills and experiences align to the criteria defined in the Qualifications section of this announcement and it must support your responses to the assessment questionnaire. We cannot assume you have performed the necessary experience required for this position regardless of your employment history or academic career.Required
To ensure all of the essential information is in your resume, we encourage you to use the r. If you choose to use your own resume, you must ensure it contains all of the required information and you organize it so we can associate the following information for each experience/position:
- Job title
- Name of employer
- Beginning and ending dates of employment (month/day/year format)
- Hours worked per week. We will assume full-time unless otherwise stated. We will prorate part-time employment in crediting experience.
- Detailed description of job duties, accomplishments, related skills, and responsibilities to include any supervisory/managerial responsibilities and number of staff supervised (if applicable)
- Series and grade or equivalent (if a federal position)
If the position has an education requirement or you are qualifying on the basis of education, you must list your education history including the type of degree and your major of study. If the position requires a certain number of credit hours, you are strongly encouraged to list the relevant courses in your resume.Do not include a photograph or video of yourself, or any sensitive information
(age, date of birth, marital status, protected health information, religious affiliation, social security number, etc.) on your resume or cover letter. We will not access web pages linked on your resume or cover letter to determine your qualifications.
For resume writing guidance, please visit the following resources: , , and the .Assessment Questionnaire
You must submit a completed assessment questionnaire.
Unless otherwise stated, we will only use the information above to determine your qualifications. Not providing the required information may result in a determination that you do not meet minimum requirements for the position (e.g., an ineligible rating) or a lower rating.Required Documentation For Career Transition Claims
Visit our websites to claim selection priority through the Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP):
If you do not provide the required information, we will assume you are not eligible or you do not wish to be considered for any preference or eligibility.
Please do not submit any other supplementary documentation that is not requested of you. To protect your personal information, we will only send your resume and cover letter to the selecting official or hiring manager.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.