[Quora is a remote-first company. This position can be performed remotely from multiple countries around the world. Please visit careers.quora.com/eligible-countries for details regarding employment eligibility by country.]
Quora’s mission is to grow and share the world’s knowledge. To do so, we have two knowledge sharing products:
- Quora: a global knowledge sharing platform with over 400M monthly unique visitors, bringing people together to share insights on various topics and providing a unique platform to learn and connect with others.
- Poe: a platform that lets people ask questions, get instant answers, and have back-and-forth dialogue with various AI language models (bots). As AI capabilities rapidly advance, Poe provides a single platform to instantly integrate and utilize these new models.
Behind these products are passionate, collaborative, and high-performing global teams. We have a culture rooted in transparency, idea-sharing, and experimentation that allows us to celebrate success and grow together through meaningful work. Join us on this journey to create a positive impact and make a significant change in the world.About The Team And Role
The Data Team is highly empowered at Quora, helping navigate complexity and influencing product and company strategy directly. Quora's outsized commitment to data is visible in everything we do, from our rigor-driven experimentation processes to the backgrounds of our leaders. With this emphasis on data and empirics, we aim to balance rigor and pragmatism, searching for scrappy solutions in pursuit of our mission. In joining Quora's strong data team, you'll both benefit from and work to advance our culture of rational decision making.
As a member of our team, you'll work closely with product managers, product designers, and engineers to devise appropriate measurements and metrics, design randomized controlled experiments, build visualizations, and tackle hard, open-ended problems that uncover usage patterns and opportunities for the company. Quora has a wide range of rich data, giving you ample room for exploration and creativity. Examples of some projects our data scientists have worked on include modeling our long-term growth, improving the relevance and personalization of the homepage feed, and exploratory analysis of factors driving question-asking behavior. For more about our work, see Quora's Data blog at https://data.quora.com/.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will draw on your experience to excel not only in your own work but also to elevate data’s impact at a company-wide level. You will provide team mentorship that propels the work of your colleagues while helping to establish best practices for data usage across Quora.Responsibilities
- Extract actionable insights from broad, open-ended questions
- Design and evaluate experiments to measure the impact of product changes
- Analyze data from across the product to uncover the root causes of metric movements
- Communicate results to cross-functional stakeholders to inform product decisions
- Develop tools to scale and automate analyses, improving productivity across the company
- Improve the work of other data scientists through mentorship and by bringing industry best practices to the team
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's “coordination hours (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time)
- 3+ years work experience in an analytical or quantitative role as a Data Scientist or similar title
- 2+ years experience working on product analytics
- Extensive experience generating insights using statistical techniques (e.g. regression, hypothesis testing)
- Demonstrated ability to clearly explain data results to cross-functional teams
- Experience using a procedural programming language (e.g. Python, R) to manipulate, clean, and analyze data
- Ability to exercise judgment and combine quantitative skills with intuition and common sense
- Experience evangelizing best practices and process improvements on your team
At Quora, we value diversity and inclusivity and welcome individuals from all backgrounds, including marginalized or underrepresented groups in tech, to apply for our job openings. We encourage all candidates who share a passion for growing the world’s knowledge, even those who may not strictly meet all the preferred requirements, to apply, as we know that a diverse range of perspectives can have a significant impact on our products and our culture.
- Experience working with large data sets and distributed computing tools (e.g. Redshift, Presto)
- Experience pushing code and navigating a complex codebase
- Active Quora and/or Poe user with curiosity about the product
Quora offers a wide range of benefits including medical/dental/vision coverage, equity refreshers, remote work reimbursement, paid time off, employee assistance programs, and more. Benefits are country-specific and may vary. For more information on benefits, visit this link: https://www.careers.quora.com/benefits
There are many factors that will determine the starting pay, including but not limited to experience, location, education, and business needs.
- US candidates only: For Colorado based applicants, the minimum base salary range is $122,000 - $171,000 USD + equity + benefits. For California, New Jersey, New York, and Washington based applicants, the minimum salary range is $122,000 - $201,000 USD + equity + benefits.
- British Columbia Candidates Only: For British Columbia based applicants, the minimum base salary range is $122,000 - $201,000 CAD + equity + benefits.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Job Applicant Privacy Notice: https://www.careers.quora.com/applicant-privacy-notice