As a Data Scientist with domain understanding, you will work at the intersection of machine learning and marine engineering to build predictive and optimization models for improving health and efficiency of machinery onboard vessels. You will work with an interdisciplinary team and lead multiple product concepts and research initiatives. You will strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and high judgment backed by statistical proof.
- Follow the data science process to formulate questions and hypotheses, identify metrics and conclude based on statistical proof.
- Use tools such as statistics, feature engineering, supervised and unsupervised machine learning, and physics-based models to create scalable solutions for business problems and customer goals.
- Validate models with real data and improve performance by working with experts in engines and marine operations.
- Establish scalable, efficient, automated processes for large scale data analyses, model development, model validation and model implementation.
- Work closely with product managers, scientists and engineers to identify problems, drive new feature creations, and share learnings.
- Understand Scrum process and be able to define requirements and good quality user stories for engineering team.
- Research and implement novel machine learning and statistical approaches.
- Bachelor's degree in Physics, Mechanical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Marine Engineering. or equivalent highly technical field + data science knowledge through courses and projects.
- Ph.D. degree with coursework and projects spanning engineering and data science.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience developing ML models and methods such as neural networks, random forests, linear regression and Bayesian classification. Relevant experience working on time-series data would be a plus.
- Proficient using SQL, R, Python, Matlab or other scripting language; command line usage.
- Strong foundation in statistics, data analytics and machine learning techniques.
- Experience on product development process, e.g., Scrum, Agile
- Experience in computer science fundamentals such as objectoriented design, data structures and software development process.
- Excellent communication skills, and be able to engage customers, align with key stakeholders and communicate high quality user stories to engineering team.
- Experience developing physics-based simulation models for engines.
- Experience in IoT / Industrial machinery analytics or in Marine Technology.
- Experience building interpretable models that capture and utilize large data sets for system fault detection and performance improvements.
- Start-up experience