At Data Science Services we use our technical and analytical expertise to produce innovative data science solutions, linked to business requirements.
The jobholder will be accountable for providing technical leadership and insight for data science specialisms and will lead complex data science solutions and projects of work, taking ownership for delivering to time, identifying and mitigating risks and developing contingencies, escalating issues when required and leading and developing data science capabilities.
The job holder will be expected to:
- source, access, manipulate and engineer data processes with data that typically have characteristics of volume, velocity and variety, or both
- build robust statistical models from the data and use best coding practices to generate reproducible work
- use an evolving range of data analysis tools and techniques, including open source, some of which must be learnt quickly, as and when required
- explore and visualise the data to present the ‘story’ of the data in a meaningful way, and to a range of technical and non-technical audiences
- Work in an “agile” manner with colleagues from the wider data science community, technology and subject matter experts
- adhere to the data science ethics framework
- are open minded and demonstrate strong intellectual curiosity
- have an interdisciplinary focus, using techniques and knowledge from across the scientific spectrum
- be the technical expert, lead and point of reference for data science projects and colleagues, leading data science technical and staff developments to ensure skills and tooling are relevant, innovative and continually developing.
- propagate data science skills in other teams, understanding the variety of functional roles relating to data science and how they can be most effectively applied to solve business problems
At this level, the successful candidate should be:
- a recognised authority on a number of data science specialisms, preferably applicable within government, with some knowledge of cutting-edge techniques
- be prepared to engage with senior stakeholders and champion the value of data science
- able to use a wide range of data science tools, techniques and programs to practitioner or expert level
- a line manager to more junior colleagues
- leading the communication of the value of data science to senior stakeholders
- able to lead the technical aspects across a range of data science projects and manage project teams.
Whilst we are seeking a person with the skills and expertise to offer support across the range of data science services we offer, the primary focus of this role will be to support our work in advanced analytics and exploitation and our developer and data back-end operations.
Experience of applied data science and advance analytics
Extensive programming experience (R, Python, Java, SQL, SAS or similar) is essential
Evidence of effectively employing data science tools and techniques for insight and data products delivery as well as management project outcomes is essential.
Strong written and verbal communication skills including ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical audiences
No specific academic qualifications are essential for this post but a degree or equivalent in a Computer Science related discipline would be desirable.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Managing a Quality Service
- Communicating and Influencing
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Data Science Innovation
- Domain Expertise
We focus on our people, with clearly defined career pathways that are rewarding, fulfilling and achievable.
We provide access to learning and development tailored to your role
We have flexible ways of working to help everyone run their own work/life balance.
And we’re building an authentically diverse and inclusive workplace where everyone feels able to bring their whole self to work.
- A civil service pension
- Number of days annual leave
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
If you are applying for a role in an office within a regional center location or a transitional or specialist site, then the following may apply: Daily Travel Assistance will be available for this role, provided the successful applicant is a current HMRC employee and meets the eligibility requirements outlined in the department’s Daily Travel Assistance guidance.