At Roche we believe it’s urgent to deliver medical solutions right now - even as we develop innovations for the future. We are passionate about transforming patients’ lives and we are brave in both decision and action. And we believe that good business means a better world.
That is why we come to work each day. We commit ourselves to scientific rigour, unassailable ethics, and access to medical innovations for all. We do this today to build a better tomorrow.
As a Data Scientist for our Clinical Operations department, you act as a strategic thought partner to key stakeholders. You are the champion in organizational analytics learning, and ensure expertise continues to flourish and develop towards future business needs. You are responsible for creating and implementing analytics and insights for different customers in
the Clinical Operations group and partnering closely with business leaders and end users to understand needs, build or leverage existing capabilities and develop study decision support solutions.
You will be accountable for addressing key business questions using primary and secondary data sources in effectively planning, executing, and monitoring the progress of Clinical Studies and/or programs.
You have the primary responsibility to design and implement analyses using a variety of data sources (including but not limited to key clinical operations systems such as CTMS and others, biosample operational data, data provided by external partners such as CROs, electronic medical records, clinical trial data, genomics, etc.). The evidence and insights generated will inform study management teams and support clinical operations decisions.
This position requires an understanding of decision making and data generating processes of molecule and disease areas, clinical trial data, as well as good knowledge of the clinical trial management systems and very solid data science expertise.
The role can be located either in Basel or in Welwyn.
Has a comprehensive understanding of the clinical operational data we work with and foster learning with colleagues using analytical tools and applications.
- Together with partners in business and IT, jointly designs, implements, and maintains efficient analytics tools and solutions for data-driven study decision support (SDS) in agile teams.
- Demonstrates customer-centric mind-set; proactively seeks to further improve our CO SDS landscape by contributing to projects and SDS solution development.
- Acts as thought partner and advisor to all relevant teams and stakeholders; Identifies evidence needs and recommends and supports implementing data solutions; e.g. jointly with IT partners.
- Applies analytical and statistical methods to answer a variety of business questions using multiple data sources and technical tools.
- Monitors and assesses the effectiveness of enrollment and engagement efforts, projects, and practices and identifies opportunities to optimize value of investments.
- Increases the sophistication and application of advanced analytics methods
(including predictive modeling, machine learning, and scalable prototypes) to
measure and predict study performance and guide program-level decisions efficiently and at the speed of business.
- Regularly assesses and adjusts priorities based on stakeholder feedback,
organizational needs, and strategic relevance.
- Demonstrates strategic agility and ability to engage stakeholders to understand and diagnose CO problems and recommend appropriate courses of action.
- Acquires, aggregates and/or curates data and information to address business needs.
- Conducts high quality analyses; plans for data processing, designs fit-for-purpose analysis plans, assesses effective ways of presenting and delivering the results to maximize impact and interpretability.
Who you are
You have a strong understanding of (early phase) clinical trials, a broad understanding of drug development combined with a broad therapeutic area knowledge relevant to Roche Pharma’s pipeline and internal strategies/tactics and external trends. As the expert on data and analytics strategy and execution, you are crucial in ensuring business stakeholders getp the right insights and decision support for their business needs.
This new exciting role requires a mix of capabilities: data analytics, information visualization and data science. You are responsible for providing insights with minimal guidance /supervision, leveraging their capabilities in the following areas of expertise:
- Data analytics: designing and delivering advanced quantitative data analyses
leveraging large/complex datasets
- Information visualization: acquiring, aggregating and curating data in order to clearly and efficiently communicate and visualize complex quantitative information
- Data science: designing and cp-creating data analytics solutions, providing new capabilities and services for clinical operations to enable decision-making across functions with actionable metrics.
- You hold a MSc or similar educational background in a quantitative data science discipline (e.g. statistics, computer science, epidemiology, economics or physics); a PhD is a plus.
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience preferably within pharmaceutical/biotech or CRO industry and/or management consulting.
- Deep expertise in some of the following areas: patient insights, investigator insights, forecasting, competitive intelligence, data analytics, statistical modelling, information visualization and/or data science.
- Experience using scripting, statistical & programming languages, visualization and analytical tools a plus (i.e. R, Python, SQL, Tableau, Spotfire, SAS, Google/Adobe analytics).
- Hands-on experience implementing data analytics and interacting with diverse data sources to translate and enable clinical operations decisions.
- Visualization and presentation skills
- Experience acting as a strategic thought partner to teams, entrepreneurial mindset, to transform the way we use data and analytics to enable decisions and hasten our delivery of medicines for our patients.
- Experience managing outside vendors is preferred.
- Record of accomplishment of effectively working in a matrix environment with international team members coming from scientific, business and operational backgrounds, using influence without authority.
- Experience with agile methodologies such as scrum is a plus.
- Persuasive written and strong verbal communication skills, easily communicating complex ideas to non-experts.
Are you ready to apply? We are looking for a person who thinks outside the box - someone who knows that this position can be a rare springboard to many other opportunities at Roche.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building teams that represent a range of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you still have questions then please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.