Nomura is a global financial services group with an integrated network spanning over 30 countries. By connecting markets East & West, Nomura services the needs of individuals, institutions, corporates and governments through its three business divisions: Retail, Wholesale (Global Markets and Investment Banking), and Investment Management. Founded in 1925, the firm is built on a tradition of disciplined entrepreneurship, serving clients with creative solutions and considered thought leadership. For further information about Nomura, visit www.nomura.com
Global Markets FOSCC Team Overview
The FOSCC team is a global team responsible for creating and maintaining the Front Office Supervision framework for Global Markets (“GM”), and being the key operational risk and 1LOD control function for the Global Markets business. FOSCC operates in 3 Regions (EMEA, Asia ex Japan and Japan). The FOSCC Team today maintains a certain number of Key Risk Indicators relating to GM non-financial risk metrics and the team work hand in hand with senior management and supervisors leveraging on these indicators to identify any risks that exist in the business operations.
The Data Scientist function will work with GM and FOSCC in supporting to buildout of our digital tools, including the design and build of Behavioral Risk Index and other data analytical tools. The ideal candidate is adept at using large data sets to find opportunities to identify risks and process optimization and using models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. They must have strong experience working with internal teams to source and extract relevant datasets, using a variety of data mining/data analysis methods and tools, building and implementing models, developing algorithms and creating and running simulations. They must have a proven ability to drive business results with their data-based insights. They must be comfortable working with a wide range of stakeholders and functional teams. The right candidate will have a passion for discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Key Responsibilities of Data Scientist:
- Work with stakeholders throughout the organization to identify opportunities for leveraging data to drive different business and risk management solutions.
- Mine and analyze data from different databases and datasets to drive optimization and improvement of existing risk management tools.
- Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques.
- Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets using Agile methodologies
- Use predictive modeling to increase risk management potential and capabilities
- Develop a testing framework and test model quality.
- Coordinate with FOSCC and different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes.
- Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy.
- Undergraduate or Master's Degree in a quantitative discipline (Financial Engineering, Mathematics, Computer Science or quantitative field) from a reputable education institution
- Minimum 2-5 years of experience analyzing complex data sets and building statistical models.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills coupled with the ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for coordinating across teams.
- Proficiency in a common programming language (Python and its ecosystem) for data analysis and drawing insights from large data sets; familiarity with common data science and machine learning libraries.
- Knowledge of a variety of machine learning techniques (clustering, decision tree learning, artificial neural networks, etc.) and their real-world advantages/drawbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical techniques and concepts (regression, properties of distributions, statistical tests and proper usage, etc.) and experience with relevant software libraries.
- Preferred experience working with data from 3rd party providers e.g. Bloomberg and other financial services providers.
- Experience creating visualisations and presenting results effectively to stakeholders.
- A strong interest in risk management and related principles, not limited to financial risks only, but also other human behavioural factors, conduct and other non-financial attributes even if the data could be non-revenue related and might be operational in nature.
Nomura is committed to an employment policy of equal opportunities, and is fundamentally opposed to any less favourable treatment accorded to existing or potential members of staff on the grounds of race, creed, colour, nationality, disability, marital status, pregnancy, gender or sexual orientation.
DISCLAIMER : This Job Description is for reference only, and whilst this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with the job. The management reserves the right to revise the job and may, at his or her discretion, assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
TS ID: 1205192