Finning International Inc.
Number of Openings:
The Data Scientist will be focused on solving real world business challenges and optimizing our business performance across a range of areas in the mining space and delivering advanced analytical solutions for maintenance program optimization, inventory optimization, fuel efficiency, operator performance, and forecasting. In this business facing role, excellent communication skills are required as well as the ability to translate complex concepts into more digestible terms.
Reporting to the Data Science Manager, the Data Scientist will rely on their analytical background and love for Statistics, Modelling, Machine Learning, and their specific expertise in predictive maintenance and ML-driven remaining useful life (RUL) modelling. The Data Scientist will have the unique opportunity to apply cutting edge research to provide insights on what drives our ultraclass truck component life, generate high quality probabilistic forecasts, and ultimately deliver analytical solutions that optimize our customer's productivity.
Data Modelling and Analysis
- Perform exploratory data analysis and visualizations of multivariate data sets
- Design and develop analytical approaches to model the remaining useful life of our components, to optimize equipment operator behaviour, and solve other related problems for our key stakeholders
- Establish metrics/KPIs that accurately measure the results and impact of data science models
Knowledge and Data Gathering
- Interview business stakeholders to form a deep understanding of core strategic problems needing solutions
- Collaborate with engineers, analysts and specialists to develop and implement analytics-based solutions.
- Actively solicit and accept design feedback from cross functional teams
- Drive continuous improvement of ongoing analytics processes through automation
- Stay abreast of innovations in Analytics, Data Science, and Machine Learning tools and techniques
- Scientific, analytical approach to problem solving through data driven analysis and experimentation
- Skilled at soliciting and considering inputs from various stakeholders to produce solutions
- Ability to translate complex concepts into layman’s terms
- Knowledge of statistical modeling and machine learning algorithms with a specific focus on remaining useful lifetime modelling and survival analysis.
- Exceptional communicator, collaborator, and influencer of non-technical business stakeholders
- Excellent understanding and competency with mathematical concepts related to data science and statistics
- Proficiency with R and/or Python
- Ability to write SQL to retrieve data for analysis
Education & Experience:
- PhD/Masters in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another technical field from an accredited university. Course in survival analysis or similar would be a strong asset.
- 3-5 years of post-education experience in engineering, data science, analytics or modern business intelligence
- Experience in R and/or Python
- Ability to speak Spanish is an advantage but not required for the position
W e are committed to diversity at Finning, to building and sustaining a diverse and inclusive workforce and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. Finning does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.