Time Type: Full time
Worker Type: Employee
Our Business Our Culture
QBE is one of the top 20 global general insurers and is recognised as Australia's largest international insurance and Reinsurance Company, with operations in 37 countries around the world.
Working at QBE, we recognise the value of diversity and inclusion in the workplace and support a range of flexible work arrangements to promote a better family/life/work balance.
We offer you a dynamic workplace culture, one that values and leverages the unique ideas, capabilities and experiences you bring irrespective of where you are in the world. We believe this strengthens our ability to deliver on our business goals, particularly as it relates to innovation, growth and our focus on customers.
As we continue our journey in becoming a simpler, stronger and more customer-centred organisation, Data & Analytics remains at the top of our priorities in truly shifting over to a data-driven culture to drive business outcomes. We are continually growing our thriving teams, now across Sydney & Melbourne CBD offices.
A newly created position has come up within our D&A team here for a curious and passionate Senior Data Scientist. The role serves as a modelling and data science partner for assigned business areas responsible for the scientific integrity of work products, including study design, research methodology, and the deployment of statistical approaches and modelling. Moreover, it will play an influential role within the team, providing thought leadership and technical guidance to peers.
- Leading analytical conversation with business centred on “The art of the possible using data science”, exploring data from a modelling perspective, and performing initial exploratory data analysis to assess business value
- Working with information management specialists to identify and classify new feature sets, explore machine learning algorithms, and extract new feature sets
- Working in close partnership with analytics managers to size analytical opportunities and execute plans that ensure a positive commercial return
- Managing day-to-day relationships with offshore analytics teams
- Developing, implementing and maintaining analytical models to identify fraud, drive recoveries and renewals, drive profitable growth, and improve underwriting, pricing and claims performance
- Building analytical application designs and prototyping to test ideas and drive innovation in an agile fashion
- Working with analytics partners to build and operationalise models, quantifying and analysing model performance, and overseeing model refreshing requirements
- Managing analytical projects and coordinating activities with other shared services partners by prioritising relevant activities and providing subject matter expertise
- Assisting in the development of commercial propositions involving the use of analytics within insurance core functions through own analysis, prior experience, and research & development
- Implementing fit-for-purpose analytics tools and infrastructure that will be adopted by end users (e.g. claims handlers)
- Contributing to IT strategy
- Positively promoting the department, division and company as a whole, in order to maximise brand leverage and develop the team’s profile
- Actively undertaking personal development to ensure up-to-date skills and knowledge
- Acting as a point of reference to guide and advise junior members of the team to ensure sharing of knowledge and best practice
- Contributing to a positive environment by demonstrating cultural expectations and guiding leaders to reward performance, and valuing “can do” people, accountability, diversity and inclusion, flexibility, continuous improvement, collaboration, creativity and fun
- Adopting QBE values in personal work behaviours, decision-making, contributions and interpersonal interactions
- Managing own career development by soliciting feedback and valuing other perspectives
What does success look like?
- Degree qualified in econometrics, mathematics, statistics or related discipline
- Track record of implementing models that deliver significant sustained business impact
- Good understanding of Data Science domain, statistical and analytical model development and implementation
- Proficient in machine learning techniques and related disciplines
- Significant data management experience, gained from within the financial services sector, ideally within general insurance
- Good understanding of data modelling techniques, tools/language - Python preferred.
- Strong project management, collaboration and communication skills
- Ability to apply logic and reasoning to identify solutions to complex business problems and implement solutions
- Business and financial acumen
- Curiosity to learn and keep up with market trends and innovations
- Flexibility to adapt in a complex changing environment
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate a team, engage and influence stakeholders at all levels
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
You will be provided with a competitive salary package and benefits, in an environment that offers support, and encourages career development and learning.
QBE recognises the value of diversity in the workplace and supports a range of flexible work arrangements to promote a better family/life/work balance.
We offer a range of benefits and discounts including:
- Paid Parental leave (inclusive of paid superannuation during this time)
- Secondment opportunities
- Employee assistance programme
- Paid volunteer leave
- Purchased leave
- Product discounts
Applicants will be required to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in Australia, and at a minimum be required to undertake police and basic credit checks as a condition of employment.
For more information, click the APPLY button to submit your details.
Application Close Date: 13/10/2021 11:59 PM
How to Apply:
To submit your application, click Apply and follow the step by step process.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
QBE is an equal opportunity employer and is required to comply with equal employment opportunity legislation in each jurisdiction it operates.