At CN, everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We welcome students who share their ideas, perspectives and understanding of new technologies with our teams. In return, we provide the opportunity to work on exciting projects with experienced collaborators who are happy to share their knowledge, all within a mutually-agreed to framework. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The opportunities we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
Canadian National Railway Company (CN) is looking for a highly motivated person to fulfill a full-time (40h/week) Intern, Data Scientist – Computer Vision position in Canada for winter 2023 (January – April)
The Intern, Data Scientist – Computer Vision is responsible for working on CN’s Automated Train Inspection (ATI) program and support the development and evaluation of the Machine Learning (ML) and Computer Vision pipeline. The incumbent assists with the automation of the image annotation process and explores training of neural networks leveraging small datasets. The position ensures consistency across image annotations for the ML and Deep Learning (DL) models training.
- Perform research on efficient learning algorithms that require fewer manually labeled data sets such as Active Learning, Semi-Supervised learning, and Few-Shot Learning
- Publish research findings to ML conferences might be a possibility
- Support Data Scientist and ML Developer on the design and development of ML Solutions
- Translate the technology solution architecture into engineering and software development standards and specifications
- Apply and ensure compliance with appropriate CN Information and Technology (I&T) standards, including Security, Architecture, Project Delivery Methodology, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Telecom, and Software Engineering
- Conduct code reviews and ensure coding standards
- Experience with Python, Shell, and other scripting languages
- Knowledge of DL frameworks such as Pytorch, Tensorflow, and Keras
- Knowledge of Computer Vision for Objects Detection, Segmentation, and Classification
- Applies critical thinking
- Communicates with impact
- Solves problems to create value
- Experience in Active Learning, Semi-Supervised Learning, and Few-Shot Learning algorithms*
- Working toward a Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree or Ph.D. Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, Artificial Intelligence (A.I.), ML or a related field of study
- Any experience/education/skills/knowledge for these above would be considered as an asset
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.