DATA SCIENTIST (ERDC):
Bowhead seeks a Data Scientist to collect, manage, and analyze data associated with forest inventory and environmental datasets to include analysis of baseline (i.e., reference) ecosystem conditions to evaluate impacts/gains to ecosystem status in disturbed, altered, restored, or created ecological environments. They will be proficient in R and python programming with the ability to modify and execute machine learning processes in both languages through the Linux based, command line interfaces. Our senior scientist will also possess knowledge and experience to utilize geospatial applications within Esri’s ArcPy and ArcGIS server applications.Responsibilities
- Assist with field evaluations and data collection efforts aimed at identifying the vegetation type, density, and vigor.
- Possess experience with working outside under adverse weather conditions.
- Demonstrate the capacity to assist with work conducted in remote areas while exposed to insects, wet/hot conditions, uneven terrain, and be able to lift and carry field gear weighing up to 50 pounds.
Travel may also include regional trips (Mississippi and Louisiana). Each trip would be for 5 to 10 days for the Great Lakes and Great Plains Region; regional travel may include day trips or travel up to 5-days. Estimating a total for 8 trips will be required for this task.Qualifications
- BS Degree and two to five (2-5+) years of experience in a related field or related area, or a combination of education and experience.
- Must have knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures as related to biological and environmental studies
- Intermediate to advanced level skills in Microsoft Office software suite - Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of employees and outside contacts
- Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment with the ability to work alone or as part of a team
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds
- Must be able to stand and walk for prolonged amounts of time
- Must be able to twist, bend, and squat periodically
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Must be able to obtain a Public Trust (NAC) level clearance. US Citizenship is a requirement for this location.