Teamwork makes the stream work.Roku Is Changing How The World Watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the US, and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you’ll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We’re a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.About The Team
Our team’s mission is to build a world class big data platform to bring value out of data for us, for our partners, and for our customers. Our goal is to democratize data, provide reporting and analytics self-service tools, and fuel existing and new business critical initiatives. You'll join the Data Engineering Team as a Sr. Data Engineer working on processing data from millions of IOT devices.About The Role
Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. We connect users to the streaming content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers with unique capabilities to engage consumers. Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models are available around the world through direct retail sales and licensing arrangements with TV brands and pay TV operators.
With tens of million players sold across many countries, thousands of streaming channels and billions of hours watched over the platform, building scalable, highly available, fault-tolerant, big data platform is critical for our success.
This role can be based in Manchester, or Cambridge.
What you’ll be doing
- Build highly scalable, available, fault-tolerant distributed data processing systems (batch and streaming systems) processing over 10s of terabytes of data ingested every day and petabyte-sized data warehouse
- Build quality data solutions and refine existing diverse datasets to simplified models encouraging self-service
- Build data pipelines that optimize on data quality and are resilient to poor quality data sources
- Own the data mapping, business logic, transformations and data quality
- Low level systems debugging, performance measurement & optimization on large production clusters
- Participate in architecture discussions, influence product roadmap, and take ownership and responsibility over new projects
- Maintain and support existing platforms and evolve to newer technology stacks and architectures
We’re excited if you have
- Extensive SQL Skills
- Proficiency in at least one scripting language, Python is required
- Proficiency in at least one object-oriented language, Java is preferred
- Experience in big data technologies like HDFS, YARN, Map-Reduce, Hive, Kafka, Spark, Airflow, Presto, etc.
- Experience with AWS, GCP, Looker is a plus
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams such as developers, analysts, and operations to execute deliverables
- 5+ years professional experience as a data or software engineer
- BS in Computer Science; MS in Computer Science preferred
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company's success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you'll be part of a company that's changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn't real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
To learn more about Roku, our global footprint, and how we've grown, visit https://www.weareroku.com/factsheet.