From global research discoveries to clinical breakthroughs – our vision is to become the most influential life sciences company for researchers. If you are motivated by making a real impact to people’s life and have a desire to work in a passionate and diverse community, Abcam is the place for you.
Our culture is driven by our dedicated, agile and audacious community of professionals who are driven by a combined purpose and sense of belonging. We’re incredibly proud to be recognised as one of the top 5 best places to work in the UK for two years running, as per Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Award.
About the role:
We are looking for a Data Engineer to cover maternity leave in Abcam’s growing Data Engineering team. The Data Engineer will be primarily responsible for continuing our Oracle and SQL development and may also work on other strategic projects such as data migrations and the development of our Big Data platform. Our overall Data team plays an incredibly important role in Abcam as we continue to grow and support research across the globe.
About Data Engineering:
The Data Engineering team is responsible for extracting, transforming, logically organising and storing data, as well as providing Data Warehousing and Big Data capabilities to enable the creation and delivery of Analytics and AI/ML products.
Roles & responsibilities:
- Support with various data migration projects across Oracle, SQL
- Build and maintain data sources for data visualisation tools and educate and support business users to self-service their reporting needs.
- Monitor services, assist with issue resolution, conduct root cause analysis and provide an appropriate level of communication to users who may be affected by general issues or outages.
- Write complex procedures and functions, dynamic and procedural SQL.
- Work closely with stakeholders including Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Data Architects, Infrastructure Engineers, Product Managers and Business Analysts.
- Work closely with non-technical business stakeholders and communicate complex technical concepts in a way they can understand.
- Stay abreast of developments in the world of Data Engineering and make recommendations about new technologies and ways of working.
Essential skills: SQL, Data Warehouse, Oracle ODI.
Desirable skills: AWS, Python, ETL, Git, Tableau, MuleSoft, Spark, Kafka
You are an experienced Data Engineer looking for an opportunity to put your skills to use in a fast moving team environment that delivers essential insight across a global business. Your passion is likely to be Oracle and SQL but with skills across various other languages waiting to be developed.
You will be a team player, able to build strong relationships across Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Architects, Infrastructure Engineers, Product Managers and Business Analysts. This role will use your ability to design and build data warehouses and use ETL tools. Your background in an industry environment may be in life sciences or similar business will be an asset, along with implementing Big Data solutions using one or more major cloud platform (AWS, GCP, Azure).
We know that when it comes to benefits, no one size fits all. Flexibility and choice matter which is why we offer all kinds of ways to enable you and your loved ones to be well and live well. You can expect;
- A culture focused on well-being and opportunities for growth and development. We provide a wide range of training opportunities, for both professional and personal development.
- The freedom to work in a way that works for you, with a focus on maximising productivity and innovation at work whilst reducing environmental impact.
- A performance-based share plan, inspiring and rewarding our people as we deliver Abcam’s strategy.
- Attractive and flexible package including 18 weeks full paid maternity leave and 6 weeks full paid paternity leave, increased holiday allowance over time and much more.
We offer a truly inclusive environment where you can bring your whole self to work. This is underpinned by our Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) and our partnerships with WORK180 (endorsed employer for women) and MyGwork (LGBT+ professional community). All our positions are open as a Job Share, where two talented professionals can share the responsibility of a full time position. You can declare your interest in a job share role within the application form.
Abcam is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes all employment decisions without regard to age, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you’re interested in this particular role then we’d love to read your application.