Endeavour Group runs Australia’s leading retail drinks and licenced hotel network across Australia. Our business has more than 1,600 retail stores and 340 hotels powered by a team of 28,000 people. Our brands include BWS, Dan Murphy’s, Jimmy Brings, Langtons, Shorty’s Liquor, Pinnacle Drinks and ALH hotels
Our purpose is to create a more sociable future, together. We’re all about bringing people together to create great experiences and memorable moments. We do the right thing - build our business sustainably, act responsibly and embrace technology. We work as one team to contribute to the communities we serve and collaborate with our partners to help build a better industry. We recognise how important our people are in helping us to achieve our ambition and we champion individuality and value fairness, inclusion and diversity.
The Advanced Analytics Team is an Enterprise function within Endeavour, with capabilities across data governance & privacy, data engineering & platforms, data analytics and data science. We are a passionate team of data enthusiasts with a mission to empower Endeavour to achieve its ambitions through data driven insights.
About The Opportunity
Within Endeavour, data is at the heart of our ambition to connect everyone with a drinks experience they’ll love. The Data Engineer plays a key role in sourcing data and managing data pipelines to support analytics, reporting and machine learning initiatives across many domains, including marketing, merchandising and supply chain. Sitting within cross-functional Product squads and/or Data Platform squads, this role works closely with Business Analysts, Software Engineers, Data Engineers, Machine Learning Engineers, Data Scientists, Data Analysts, Data Governance and domain SMEs to deliver on squad missions.
You’re customer focused and passionate about being part of a tribe of great people and you actively contribute to your workplace community.
With a growth mindset, you orient around doing what’s meaningful, purposeful and delivers value. You’re excited about being part of a data-led transformation at one of Australia’s biggest companies.
You’re curious and empathetic. You have an eye for the bigger picture while also ensuring the details are in order. You deal with complexity by collaborating with colleagues, listening to customers, testing ideas and continuously learning. You take authorship for what you create.
A day in the life of a Data Engineer
- Work with squad members and business SMEs to understand the requirements including business problem or opportunity, data feed/pipeline requirements, model design, features and/or reporting requirements
- Contribute to documentation of requirements and user stories in Jira/Confluence, as required
- Build and deploy data pipelines required for the relevant initiative - could be to support analytics, reporting, machine learning, data migration and/or data archiving requirements
- Document relevant information required for knowledge sharing across the team and for operational support handover
- Knowledge sharing amongst the data engineering chapter and squad team members
- Collaborate with team and stakeholders to ensure successful delivery
- Contribute and adhere to technology standards, data governance & privacy policies and IT security standards
- Adhere to corporate governance policies
- Attend/contribute to squad agile ceremonies (e.g. standups, sprint planning etc)
- Where required, support ML Engineers to implement and deploy scalable ML models and features (as designed by data scientists), adhering to enterprise CI/CD and devops practices
- Where required, support ML Engineers to optimise execution performance (time and cost) of models
- Contribute and assist with handover documentation to by used by operations team for new builds/enhancements
- 3rd level support for incidents relating to productionised data pipelines and/or ML models
- Comply with the change process and provide inputs, as required, and attend CAB, where required
What You’ll Need To Succeed
- Must Have
- Cloud data pipeline build, deploy and maintain/support skills
- Python, DBT, Airflow and SQL skills
- Experience with distributed programming (e.g. Apache Spark)
- An in-depth understanding of common databases and data structures.
- Back-end development skills, such as APIs
- Experience working with big data cloud platforms (Azure, Google Cloud Platform, AWS)
- Experience working in agile environment
- DevOps and. CI/CD
- Google Cloud Platform experience (Composer, Cloud Run, Cloud Functions, GCS, BigQuery, etc.)
- Experience working with Personally Identifiable Information (PII) data
- Databricks experience
- Experience working with retail offline (e.g. store sales) and online data sets (e.g. ecommerce)
- Experience working with unstructured data
- Data science knowledge
- Retail industry experience
- Software engineering experience/skills
- Experience with Infrastructure as code
- Experience with Java and/or C#
- Experience with Object-Oriented programming (OOP)
- Experience with Unit Testing, TDD
- Leadership and behaviours
- Ability to think customer first and relate solutions back to the customer problem and outcomes
- Enthusiastic and positive team member with a self-directed and self-motivated attitude
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Excellent collaboration skills with an ability to see past problems to solutions
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Effective communication skills to articulate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Effective time management to prioritise workload
- Ability to see the big picture
- One team mindset
- Strong commercial experience
What's in it for you?
- Excellent remuneration package and flexible working in every sense. We value our people
- High calibre Data & Analytics team of 100+ people (numerous career path options)
- Cutting edge data and analytics platforms
- Authentic support of your leadership team to define and grow your career
- The innovative feel of a startup with the security of a top tier organisation with a long track record of impressive growth
- Multiple training and development initiatives on offer
- An organisation known for its welcoming, team oriented culture
- Flexible working environment (time of work and place of work)
- Everyday Rewards plus card - access exclusive employee discounts across Woolworths, BigW and Endeavour Group brands (BWS, Dan Murphy’s etc) and 50% off food at ALH venues.
- Our innovative ways of working include headspace mornings once a month (no meetings company-wide)
- Opportunity to partner alongside bright minds and genuine investment in leading technologies
- Career progression to help you realise your potential. As our business grows so do the opportunities for our people
- Work with an industry-leading team and be a part of one of the most exciting retail transformations in Australia
Grow with Endeavour Group
Bring your spark. Tap into our spirit. That’s the power of Endeavour.
If you want to experience the diverse spirit of drinks and hospitality businesses, here you can tap into Australia’s leading brands including Dan Murphy’s, BWS, ALH, Pinnacle Drinks, Endeavour X and more.
If you have a passion for connecting people with products they love, here you can join an industry that’s deeply embedded in the way Australians socialise, unwind and celebrate.
If you want access to a breadth of career opportunities, here you can enjoy a path that travels between diverse roles and businesses within the Group.
If you’re already asking ‘what’s next for me’ and our industry, here you’ll thrive.
If you want to bring your full self to doing fulfilling work, here you’ll find a culture that’s welcoming, inclusive and responsible.
If you are looking for flexibility, here we encourage our team members to work in ways that meets their work / life commitments and supports their wellbeing.
Come grow with Endeavour where we are passionate about our purpose of creating a more sociable future together, and leaving a positive imprint on our team members and the communities we serve.
If you meet a number of the requirements, but not all, we encourage you to submit your application.
You can learn more about working with us onor via #EGL #EDG
Our Talent Acquisition Team and Hiring Leaders kindly request no unsolicited resumes or approaches from Recruitment Agencies. Endeavour Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.