Motorway is the UK’s fastest-growing used car marketplace – our online-only platform connects private car sellers with thousands of verified dealers nationwide, ensuring everyone gets the best deal.
Founded in 2017, our innovative, technology-led approach has redefined the experience of selling a car, generating thousands of monthly car sales and helping us to grow to a team of over 200 across 3 locations.
Motorway is backed by some of the world’s leading technology investors, having recently raised £48m in Series B funding from Index Ventures, BMW iVentures and others.
This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing scale-up at a crucial phase of growth, build amazing products with a high degree of influence, and help change an industry for the better.
About the role
We’re looking for a versatile Junior Data Scientist with an interest in product development to join our ambitious team. You can expect to learn how to measure product performance and customer behaviour, help define the right metrics to monitor the impact of new features and develop visualisations to inform key stakeholders. You’ll do this by collaborating with our product managers to keep abreast of one-off insights, upcoming and existing features, and how you can help them with their respective quarterly targets and KPIs.
You will also have opportunities to assist across the team, including complex end-to-end machine learning projects utilising the latest cloud AI products; from data pre-processing, to optimising ML models and deploying to an API endpoint, you can expect to be exposed to all spokes of a career in data with us.
At Motorway we work with cutting-edge data infrastructure such as _dbt, Google BigQuery, Google AI platform, Google Analytics, Data Studio, Jupyter Notebooks, Colab and more. You’ll also have plenty of development and training opportunities in a truly forward thinking company. The role is fast-moving and varied so the ideal candidate will have a love for problem-solving, data and idea creation.
We aim to automate as much as we can, so that every person in the team can focus on the important things.
- You have an understanding of the end-to-end data science process from sourcing to ETL, data warehousing, and onto data visualisation.
- You have solid grounding in SQL and preferably Python (numpy, pandas, matplotlib, sklearn etc.)
- You’re happy designing impactful reporting dashboards that can serve technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrable interest in ML methods and their business applications.
- You have a ‘Never stop learning’ attitude and interest in emerging technologies.
- Strong organisation skills to ensure the delivery of projects on time along with BAU requests in a fast-paced environment.
- You have a self-starter mindset and a pragmatic approach to problem-solving.
- You enjoy working with multiple teams and fostering meaningful stakeholder relationships across the business
- You’re a natural collaborator and team player.
- A competitive salary.
- Annual learning budget with access to General Assembly courses, an Audible subscription and hundreds of books and online lessons.
- BUPA health insurance.
- Pension scheme.
- Motorway car leasing scheme - lease a zero-emissions electric vehicle at a significant discount
- Enhanced maternity/paternity leave.
- Flexible working (approximately 2-3 days in the office a week) with the option to work fully remote for a month per year.
- Top spec M1 MacBook Pro and accessories.
- Regular social events.
- Cycle to work scheme.
- The chance to join a rapidly growing, revenue-generating startup and build products that will change an industry.
- The chance to work with the latest and greatest technologies, free from legacy systems and red tape.
- If you’re into cars, opportunities to work with vehicle data and learn about the automotive industry. We also have some fun, car-related activities (as well as non-car fun too!)
Equal Opportunities Statement:
Motorway is committed to equality of opportunity for all employees. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. We believe our workforce should reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents.
We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.
Given the continued spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), all interviews will be conducted by phone or virtual connection to protect our candidates and employees.