About The Role
Udemy is looking for a junior data engineer to join our Recommendations Team. Udemy’s personalized recommendations system is composed of batch (e.g., feature and machine learning pipelines), streaming (i.e., feature computation in real-time), and online (i.e., microservices to serve personalized recommendations) components. The team is responsible for mainly batch and streaming
components as well as the underlying algorithms and evaluation methodologies.
In this role, you will build and integrate scalable systems, platforms, and tools to provide better recommendations and personalization data with low latency. You will work in a wide stack including big data and streaming technologies
as a part of a cross-functional agile team of engineers, data scientists, and product managers.
We are passionate about learning, making an impact, and building with quality. We love taking on new technical challenges. We are interested in building a diverse, collaborative, and fun environment. Come help us improve lives through learning!
Here’s what you’ll be doing:
We’re excited about you because you have:
- Design, develop, test, deploy, and maintain recommendation and personalization related systems, platforms, and tools at scale.
- Partner with data scientists to troubleshoot and optimize complex ML applications.
- Contribute to re-architecting Udemy’s next-generation recommendations and personalization systems.
- Collaborate with data scientists, engineers, and product managers to identify opportunities to improve our platform.
- 1+ years experience working as a data engineer
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Proficiency with Scala and Python
- Exposure to Kafka and Spark Streaming
- Working knowledge of the design, development, and maintenance of large-scale systems
- Self-driven, highly motivated, and able to learn quickly
- Ability to communicate effectively with non-technical stakeholders
Udemy is the world’s largest education platform with more than 30 million monthly visitors. Through our Consumer and Enterprise businesses, Udemy creates new possibilities for people and organizations everywhere by connecting them to the knowledge and skills they need to succeed in a changing world. The Udemy consumer marketplace offers thousands of up-to-date courses in dozens of languages and provides the tools learners and instructors need to achieve their goals and reach their full potential. For companies, Udemy Business (UB) offers an employee training and development platform with subscription access to thousands of courses, learning analytics, as well as the ability to host and distribute their own content. Our enterprise platform is among the fastest growing SaaS businesses in the world. UB has more than 10,000 customers and serves the majority of the Fortune 100.
We are proud to be recognized for our world class employee experience:
Udemy Adds More than $1 Billion To Its Valuation in New Funding Round
Udemy’s Workplace Learning Tool Just Surpassed $100M in ARR
Paid Paternity Leave Should be the Norm in the U.S.
Breakdown of Most In-Demand Skills for 2020—Finance, Marketing, Sales and Engineering
How Investing in Yourself Today Will Set You Up for Career Success Tomorrow
Feedback Isn’t the Problem, but the Way That We Deliver It Is Broken
Udemy is headquartered in San Francisco with hubs in Ankara, Turkey; Austin, Texas; Boston, Massachusetts; Mountain View, California; Denver, Colorado; Dublin, Ireland; Melbourne, Australia; New Delhi, India; and Sao Paulo, Brazil.
Information regarding data privacy is available within the Udemy Careers Privacy Notice .
At Udemy, we value diversity and inclusion and consider qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or family status, veteran status, medical condition or disability. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
- Eligibility: Regular, full-time employees are eligible for Udemy’s benefit programs.
- Health Plans: Medical, dental, and vision coverage (100% coverage for employee-only).
- HSA/FSA/Commuter: Pre-tax savings/spending plans available; generous HSA employer contributions for those enrolled in the HDHP medical plan.
- Life/Disability: Employer-paid life insurance (supplemental available), in addition to short-term and long-term disability.
- Retirement: Access to 401(k) with annual employer contribution.
- Wellbeing: Corporate memberships for meditation and mindfulness, therapy and coaching, financial planning, primary care, tele-health, health advocacy, parent/newborn support, and employee discounts.
- Education: Free access to the entire course library on the Udemy and Udemy for Business platforms; annual stipend for external learning beginning at six months of employment.
- Charitable Matching Program: Employer match of monetary contributions to eligible nonprofits and charities that carry a 501(c)(3) tax status.
- Vacation: 15 days per year of Paid Time Off for hourly; flexible Discretionary Time Off for salaried.
- Parental Leave: 8 weeks of leave at 100% pay for parents who take time off from work following the date of birth, adoption, or foster placement beginning at six months of employment; this amount is in addition to pregnancy-disability benefits at 100% pay, if applicable.
- Holidays: 11 paid holidays throughout the year