The Senior Data Analyst is responsible for providing healthcare subject matter expertise and consulting practice leadership with a goal to ensure data warehouse and infrastructure development successfully meets clinical and business requirements. A strong emphasis on data science and data management, he/she will help to achieve the growth and use of UCSFs data infrastructure. Responsibilities include development of data management recommendations, standards, and best practices as well as governance technical project management.
The Senior Data Analyst has advanced technical skills, is able to manage complex and iterative projects and has the business experience to understand and communicate with non-technical users. Projects involve relationships with a variety of teams, including Physicians and frontline staff, Business Intelligence and IT, Population Health Analytics, Decision Support Services and Campus: interest and excitement in partnership across the continuum is critical.
The Senior Data Analyst will provide expertise and drive initiatives for data sourcing, data profiling and data management standardization and process development including but not limited to the following areas.
- Data profiling and data characterization using statistics and data analysis to understand data and inform development of data infrastructure to support clinical and operational requirements
- Data model development using data science and analytic methods along with stakeholder requirements to inform data infrastructure projects on database designs that facilitate data usage, reduce data redundancy and promote UCSF data governance standards
- Data sourcing using data flow diagraming and data profiling to develop approaches and specifications for sourcing data into target data marts / databases: includes ETL mapping, data modeling, data validation
- Standardizing data infrastructure processes and approaches including ETL technologies and mapping standards, data modeling standards, data quality approaches and validation processes, data management for reference and master data, metadata management approaches and standards.
- Technical project management including project intake and estimating processes, data team resource planning and management, data infrastructure planning and goals
As a preeminent health sciences campus and health system, the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is at the forefront of creating new knowledge from the exploding volume of clinical, discovery, and education data that it creates and manages. UCSF believes that the ability to leverage these data assets is an important differentiator for an academic healthcare center and is critical to our drive toward Precision Medicine and the execution of key UCSF strategies for the Clinical Enterprise. These strategies include supporting better population health by improving the quality of care and population health of the University of California health system’s 14 million patients. As part of this exciting and important endeavor, UCSF is seeking a highly qualified Senior Data Analyst.
- 5 years’ experience as a Data Scientist / Data Analyst in the healthcare or related industry
- Expertise in the fields of data quality, data profiling, data governance and data standardization
- Demonstrated ability to understand data modeling concepts (relational, multi-dimensional, columnar, etc.), data flows, ETL processes
- Expertise in creating technical specifications
- Ability to development data and system testing and validation specifications
- Broad, working knowledge of MS SQL, Oracle, and other database systems including DDL, DML and stored procedures
- Ability to assess and solve complex data management problems
- Ability to define and implement technical processes and data systems
- In-depth knowledge of business intelligence functions, advanced analytics, industry standards and best practices
- Advanced critical thinking and problem-solving skills to manage highly-complex information, assess problems, and develop effective solutions
- Utilize excellent customer service skills to build service-based relationships with Medical Center and Campus customers
- Demonstrate leadership skills and proven success in managing and motivating teams, create an atmosphere of trust, and encourage improvement and innovation
- Ability to work with senior staff and managers in clinical information technology, health care management, and business analytics, serving as a technical resource and providing advice and counsel on issues of functionality, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, policy, and performance
- Able to prioritize effectively according to department needs, and ability to organize a large number of changing variables.
- Manage several priorities and tasks
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Strong project management / consulting skills with focus on managing projects and consistently delivering to meet or exceed stakeholders' expectations
- Ability to communicate with high proficiency, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of management and staff, in both technical language and layman’s terms
- Excellent communication skills to describe implications of data and effectively reaches mutual understanding
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong negotiations and consensus driven outcomes
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, influencing, collaboration and negotiation skills
- Comfortable speaking to large groups including internal and external venues
- Bachelor's degree in related area and / or equivalent experience / training.
- 8 years as a data scientist / data analyst
- Experience with Epic Clarity and Cogito
- Experience with clinical, financial, operational, HR, payroll and research data
- Experience in IT project / Software development across full systems development lifecycle
- Experience in healthcare business data management/ analysis and support, EA or IT consulting
- Experience in healthcare planning and healthcare economics experience
- Experience implementing large and / or complex projects in healthcare facilities
- Experience with healthcare delivery setting across multiple locations, enterprise level, academic institution
- Understanding of healthcare industry including ACOs, network management, physician profiling, population health management, and care management
- Experience working with agile development process
- Knowledge of statistical process control principles
- Consulting experience a plus - a professional service industry environment within a global matrix
- Master’s degree in Medical Informatics or Information Systems
At UCSF Health, our mission of innovative patient care, advanced technology and pioneering research is redefining what’s possible for the patients we serve – a promise we share with the professionals who make up our team.
Consistently ranked among the top 10 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report – UCSF Health is committed to providing the most rewarding work experience while delivering the best care available anywhere. In an environment that allows for continuous learning and opportunities for professional growth, UCSF Health offers the ideal atmosphere in which to best use your skills and talents.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Job Code and Payroll Title
000599 DATA SYS ANL 4
Technical & Technologist
99 - Policy-Covered (No Bargaining Unit)
Remote / Telecommute