About Apotex Inc.
Apotex Inc. is a proudly Canadian, global pharmaceutical company that produces high-quality, affordable medicines for patients around the world. Apotex employs almost 8,000 people worldwide in manufacturing, R&D, and commercial operations. Apotex Inc. exports to more than 100 countries and territories and operates in more than 45 countries, with a significant presence in Canada, the US, Mexico, and India. Through vertical integration, Apotex is comprised of multiple divisions and affiliates including Apotex Inc., focused on generics; Apobiologix, a division of Apotex Inc. focused on biosimilar development; Aveva, an affiliate of Apotex Inc. fully integrated global developer and manufacturer of complete transdermal solutions; Apotex Consumer Products, a division of Apotex Inc. focused on brand name products; and Global Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (GAPI), a division of Apotex Inc. focused on the manufacturing of active pharmaceutical ingredients (API) for Apotex and third parties. For more information visit: www.apotex.com.
Reporting to the Manager, Production Technical and working closely with identified team members in engineering and Global Information Services (GIS), including other data scientists, the Data Scientist, Production Technical’s primary focus will be in applying data mining techniques, conducting statistical analysis, and building high quality prediction systems integrated with business processes. The data scientist will use large data sets to find opportunities for maintenance optimization and create models to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
- Extract, review and prepare equipment and operational data from multiple different sources for combined analysis.
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Propose enhancements to data collection procedures.
- Conduct ad-hoc analysis and present results in a clear manner.
- Research and develop statistical learning models for data analysis.
- Understand the full spectrum of data feature retrieval, selection, and engineering; model technique selection and integration; interpretation of outputs, and development of recommendations.
- Implement new statistical or other mathematical methodologies as needed for specific models or analysis utilizing code (Python, R, Scala, etc.) for analyzing data and building statistical models to solve specific business problems
- Select features, build and optimize classifiers using machine learning techniques.
- Identify commonalities across seemingly disparate analytics use cases, in order to identify unique ways of approaching modeling
- Communicate results and ideas to key decision makers.
- Demonstrate Behaviours that exhibit our organizational Values: Collaboration, Courage, Perseverance, and Passion.
- Ensure personal adherence with all compliance programs including the Global Business Ethics and Compliance Program, Global Quality policies and procedures, Safety and Environment policies, and HR policies.
- Interact and coordinate with colleagues in Production Technical, Global Information Services (GIS), Production, Corporate Engineering, and external contractors and integrators to develop and validate predictive maintenance analyses and models
- All other relevant duties as assigned
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities and Experience
- Minimum 3 years into a University Degree in Engineering (mechanical, electrical, computer) with a focus on Data Science or equivalent experience
- Strong understanding of data science, machine learning techniques and algorithms
- Knowledge about IoT Sensors, data integration
- Proficiency in using query languages such as SQL, Hive, Pig, etc.
- Experienced with Microsoft Office applications
- Good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Experience with data scripting languages (e.g SQL, Python, R etc.) or statistical/mathematical software(e.g. R, SAS, or Matlab)
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as R, Weka, NumPy, MatLab, Tensorflow, MS azure ML,Jupyter Notebook, etc. Excellence in at least one of these is highly desirable
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good presentation skills in a variety of settings with business or technical users, in both small and large groups
- High degree of commitment and demonstrated ability to continuous learning and improvement
- Some understanding of statistical and predictive modeling concepts, machine-learning approaches, clustering and classification techniques, supervised learning, recommendation and optimization algorithms.
- Experience using machine learning libraries, such as scikit-learn, caret, mlr, mllib
At Apotex, we are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued, respected and supported.
Apotex offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of its recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange for an interview or testing, please advise us if you require an accommodation.