Position Title: Data Analyst (Remote)
This opening is for a REMOTE position.
InnovateEDU is a non-profit whose mission is to eliminate the opportunity gap by accelerating innovation in standards-aligned, next-generation learning models and tools that serve, inform, and enhance teaching and learning. InnovateEDU is committed to massively disrupting K-12 public education by focusing on the development of scalable tools and practices that leverage innovation, technology, and new human capital systems to improve education for all students and close the achievement gap.
About the Project
InnovateEDU strives to create real tooling and projects that greatly assist a school/district/state in moving toward embracing data standards, a data-driven culture, and data interoperability. Landing Zone, a project at InnovateEDU, aims to provide the best-in-class data infrastructure and support to client districts in order to transform how data is being used in the 20 (and counting!) school systems where it is implemented. We believe supporting schools with data doesn’t just mean technology and dashboards - it means investing in the people who do the work. To that end when a school adopts Landing Zone, they get not only technical products but the ability to join a team of peers who are working and learning together as well as receive weekly coaching and support from the InnovateEDU Team.
InnovateEDU is seeking a full-time Data Analyst. This role is a little non-traditional in that its primary goal is to help the data teams that Landing Zone supports understand and make use of the Landing Zone data model. This role will be mentoring junior data analysts employed by school districts, so 2+ years experience as an analyst is a must.
The three main components of this role are the following:
- One-on-one and small group mentoring of school data analysts at school via weekly coaching sessions, check-ins, or our service desk.
- Creating and curating a set of exemplar data dashboards to expose school data to end users.
- Creating training materials and hosting webinars to build the skills of the school data analysts asynchronously or in larger groups
- Building a learning community among product users
This is a full-time position with the ability to work remotely. Landing Zone is a remote-first team and members are expected to be available during set hours in their US time zone.
Lead and manage a coaching cadence and support for client school districts.
Possible tasks include:
- Provide troubleshooting and advice for schools who need just in time support
- Provide weekly coaching and mentoring for data analysts at schools and districts throughout the country
- Create/ Revise workflow systems and procedures by monitoring and analyzing client usage, success, project tasks, and data to determine the need for implementation changes
- Provide administrative support as needed to maintain workflow
- Maintain and monitor implementation plans for schools
- Organize and participate in product meetings, especially communication around system upgrades or changes
Create dashboards and analyses on top of Landing Zone data.
Possible tasks include:
- Overhauling the base set of data dashboards that customers get when they join Landing Zone to have a consistent look and feel and use best practices for data visualization.
- Creating example SQL queries to calculate different metrics.
- Providing input on the Landing Zone data model to make it more usable for district analysts.
Curate/create a set of resources that analysts can work through independently to upskill themselves. Possible tasks include:
- Creating a scope and sequence of independent learning that we expect junior district analysts to complete.
- Finding the best online courses for learning/improving with SQL skills.
- Creating education-specific content targeted at building key skills sets
- Writing blog posts on new product features or tool capabilities.
Who You Are
You are a data maven. You have either been a data analyst yourself or worked in data for a school system. You are a natural coach. You are a mission-driven individual and believe in working to close the educational achievement gap. You are an optimistic problem-solver and believe that together we can create real solutions that help the entire sector move forward. You are keen to understand different moving pieces of a complex project and willing to use your skills to organize the work for seamless implementation. You are excited to join a growing team working on early-stage products that have long-term impacts on the sector.
You are open to feedback, bring your best every day, and are ready to grow in all areas of your work. You want to join a team of folks who share your vision for mission-driven work at the intersection of education and technology. Finally, you know that sharing often is key to this work and are ready to document everything that you do so that schools everywhere and the sector as a whole can benefit.
Experience and Skills
You are a good fit if you:
- Have 2+ years of experience in data analytics, data engineering, or a related field with a demonstrated history of project ownership and execution
- Are proficient in writing analytical SQL
- Have a strong desire to mentor other analysts to help them grow their skills
- Have experience using Google Data Studio or other BI tools
- Have an understanding of data warehouses and business intelligence tools
- Can communicate clearly and directly about complex technical topics
- Are highly motivated to work autonomously, with strong organizational and time management skills
- Experience with training/teaching technical concepts to enhance the skills of peers/others
- Experience in designing and carrying out logistics for events (e.g., workshops or symposia) for educator audiences (task analysis, materials, organizing calendars)
- Demonstrated ability in full-cycle project management from conception to delivery
- Experience with Python
You’ll have an edge if you:
- Have strong strong domain knowledge in K-12 education analytics
- Have experience building training or curriculum, especially for adult learners
- Have some experience with statistical software such as SAS, R, Python, SPSS, or other programs
- Have significant formal training in statistics and data visualization
- Have experience with training/teaching technical concepts to enhance the skills of peers/others
- Have experience in designing and carrying out logistics for events (e.g., workshops or symposia) for educator audiences (task analysis, materials, organizing calendars)
- 2+ years of experience in data analytics, data engineering, or a related field with a demonstrated history of project ownership and execution
- 2+ years of SQL programming experience in SQL Server, Big Query, or related
- 2+ years of experience with data visualization tools such as Google Data Studio, Tableau, Power BI, or related
- Organized and detailed-oriented with the ability to troubleshoot and work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to take datasets and translate them and generate visualizations visualizations
- Willingness to work with district leaders and train them on building SQL queries, creating dashboards, and importing data into Big Query
- Excellent time management, organizational, prioritization, and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Experience in managing and successfully prioritizing competing priorities
- Ability to collaborate with staff and partners while accommodating multiple project demands and organizational priorities
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to foster collaborative and productive relationships among staff and external organizations and funders
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills and the ability to listen and communicate clearly with a variety of audiences
- Strong attention to detail and ability to execute with limited supervision
- Working with internal systems such as JIRA, Asana, Slack to stay organized and ensure communication with team members
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (e.g. Excel, Outlook) and GSuite (e.g., Drive, Docs, Sheets, Forms)
- Other duties as assigned
- Google Cloud Platform
- DBT (soon!)
- Google Data Studio
What to expect in the hiring process
- Initial phone screen with a member of the Landing Zone team (30 minute Zoom call)
- A project that will take about 3 hours. The basic gist of this project is to write a SQL query and develop a data visualization in Google Data Studio.
- A project review with a technical member of the Landing Zone team (30 minute Zoom call)
- A final round interview with the head of Landing Zone and other leadership team members from the organization.
Salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience. The range for this position starts at $65,000.
- Relocation support is not available for this position.
- Applications without both a resume and cover letter will not be considered.