Are you looking for unlimited opportunities to develop and succeed? With work that challenges and makes a difference, within a flexible and supportive environment, we can help our customers achieve their dreams and aspirations.
The Senior Data Scientist develops and implements analytics enabled solutions to improve business process, to generate insights, support business goals and strategy development. The Senior Data Scientist also owns and delivers projects of diverse scope, oversees the work of more junior data scientists.Key Responsibilities:
Education, Experience and Skills:
- Develops and implements analytics enabled solutions to improve business process, to generate insights, support business goals and strategy development
- Owns and delivers projects of diverse scope. Oversees the work of more junior data scientists.
- Works on problems of diverse scope / complexity where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of a variety of factors
- Strong ability to generate relevant, actionable insights based on iterative data analysis, translate data-driven output into business language, and to make appropriate recommendations to respective business stakeholders
- Independently provides analysis on datasets of significant complexity.
- Quickly able to develop enough business insight to connect data sources across multiple diverse and complicated systems.
- Recommends implementable solutions to (or in collaboration with) business partners.
- Considers change management in all aspects of their work. Supports more junior data scientists with Change Management.
- Has intimate understanding of the business value chain and customer lifecycle for a line of business or more. Has fundamental understanding of the business as a whole, and has started to build a network of people for ideation, info sharing, knowledge.
- Understands the corporate climate and culture
- Strong knowledge of the business
- Engages in ongoing discussions and moves others towards a position, appealing to their needs and interests to gain acceptance
- Is able to display empathy with the business and anticipate their push back and areas of concern
- Maintains a strong internal network, begins to network with more senior stakeholders within the organization. Begins to develop an external network and develop their own brand, particular in their own practice area.
- Actively involved in recruitment of data science professionals (campus etc)
- Shares ideas with others, leads brainstorming sessions. Contributes to solutions outside immediate area of expertise. Ensures all voices are heard.
- Actively seeks out coaching and incorporates feedback into their work. Provides guidance and mentorship to more junior data scientists. Promotes best practices within the team. Shares technical expertise with others.
- Owns their career development. Takes advantage of available resources to advance their technical and business skills.
- Understands how their project supports broader business strategy, including the core drivers of business value. Able to prepare a business case on the benefits of their assigned work.
- Incorporates lessons learned throughout the business into their work. Engages with global counterparts to share learnings.
- Strong ability to construct systematic process to implement analytics insights and solutions, this includes (but not limited to):
- 1) designing a process with multiple relevant parties with clear specifications of roles and responsibilities
- 2) identifying required tasks, system / data flow and contingency
- 3) specifying check-and-balance throughout the process
- 4) establishing rigorous tracking and closed-loop learning
- 5) implement such process in a scalable way
- Advanced degree in Statistics, Math, Computer Science, or Engineering; or Bachelor’s degree with equivalent technical experience
- Generally, a minimum of 5 years of applicable experience
- Advanced knowledge of programming languages and concepts (e.g. SAS, SPSS, R (different modules) or Python)
- Expert in basic and advanced statistical tests, distributions, maximum likelihood estimators, statistical modelling techniques (regression, cluster / factor / principle components, decision tree, survival analysis, etc.)
- Advanced knowledge of different techniques and knowledge of machine learning algorithms. Basic knowledge of AI toolkits.
- Expert in data visualization tools such as Tableau, QlikView, open source data visualization libraries - ggplot and d3.js
- Advanced knowledge of common database querying languages such as SQL. Capability of applying a systematic, structured approach to explore / navigate / mine massive amount of data, structured or un-structured, to uncover hidden patterns / insights. Strong working knowledge of relational database models (e.g. data vaulting techniques, rules tables).
- Day to Day operational decision-making authority
- Decisions at this position are made using judgment based on skills and knowledge already developed
- Decisions beyond normal day to day may require escalation to management
- Managing projects and major deliverables
If you are ready to unleash your potential it’s time to start your career with Manulife/John Hancock.
Manulife Financial Corporation is a leading international financial services group that helps people make their decisions easier and lives better. With our global headquarters in Toronto, Canada, we operate as Manulife across our offices in Canada, Asia, and Europe, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States. We provide financial advice, insurance, and wealth and asset management solutions for individuals, groups and institutions. At the end of 2019, we had more than 35,000 employees, over 98,000 agents, and thousands of distribution partners, serving almost 30 million customers. As of March 31, 2020, we had $1.2 trillion (US$0.8 trillion) in assets under management and administration, and in the previous 12 months we made $30.4 billion in payments to our customers. Our principal operations are in Asia, Canada and the United States where we have served customers for more than 155 years. We trade as 'MFC' on the Toronto, New York, and the Philippine stock exchanges and under '945' in Hong Kong.
Manulife is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to attract, develop and retain a workforce that is as diverse as the customers we serve and to foster an inclusive work environment that embraces the strength of cultures and individuals. We are committed to fair recruitment, retention and advancement and we administer all of our practices and programs based on qualification and performance and without discrimination on any protected ground.
It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request any accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.