Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you.
At Shopify, we build products that help entrepreneurs around the world start and grow their business. We’re the world’s fastest growing commerce platform with over 1 million merchants in more than 175 different countries, with solutions from point-of-sale and online commerce to financial, shipping logistics and marketing.
Data is a crucial part of Shopify’s mission to make commerce better for everyone. We organize and interpret petabytes of data to provide solutions for our merchants and stakeholders across the organization. From pipelines and schema design to machine learning products and decision support, data science at Shopify is a diverse role with many opportunities to positively impact our success.
Our Staff Data Scientists focus on pushing products and the business forward, with a focus on solving important problems rather than specific tools. We are looking for talented data scientists to help us better understand our merchants and buyers so we can help them on their journey.
- 7-10 years of commercial experience in a data science role solving high impact business problems
- You have well built technical experience that inspires individual contributors creativity and innovation.
- You have experience with product leadership and technical decision making.
- You have been working closely with various levels of business stakeholders, from c-suite and down.
- You can jump into the code on a deep level, but are also able to contribute to long term initiatives by mentoring your team.
- Multiple work streams excites you, you are able to use ambiguity as an opportunity for high level thinking.
- Experience creating data product strategies, data products, iterating after launch, and trying again.
- Extensive experience using Python including a strong grasp of object oriented programming (OOP) fundamentals
What would be great if you have:
- Previous experience using Spark.
- Experience with statistical methods like regression, GLMs or experiment design and analysis.
- Exposure to Tableau, QlikView, Mode, Matplotlib, or similar data visualization tools.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If you’re interested in helping us shape the future of commerce at Shopify, click the “Apply Now” button to submit your application. Please submit a resume and cover letter with your application. Make sure to tell us how you think you can make an impact at Shopify, and what drew you to the role.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about Shopify’s commitments to our communities, and our planet.