We would like to invite interested applicants to apply for this position in the Research and Strategy Management Division at the Ministry of National Development. You will be part of a dynamic, multi-disciplinary team that provides timely and relevant research to policymakers to inform the policy making process.
Using data science techniques, you will undertake research and analysis on issues that are relevant to the Ministry to enable evidence-based policy formulation. These issues include:
- Assessing and monitoring public housing affordability, as well as understanding the public housing needs of Singaporeans;
- Developing surveillance capabilities to better understand key drivers that affect property market prices in Singapore;
- Deepening our knowledge of housing and related social issues faced by different population segments and the efficacy of related policies; and
- Understanding the social cohesiveness of our community and residents’ sentiments toward the living environment.
- Driving better data use for policy making through the design of systems level solutions for the Ministry family
You will work in multi-disciplinary teams, and with policymakers and other agencies, to develop and conduct quantitative studies to address and pre-empt policy needs. These include the development of dashboards for monitoring and visualisation purposes, applications of machine learning techniques to uncover insights, as well as in-depth studies that may involve explanatory and predictive elements.
In addition, you will be part of a team which manages a data lab and data warehouse. Your role may include one or more of the following:
- Assisting with data extraction when required by users;
- Documenting and resolving data related-issues highlighted by users;
- Planning and executing data governance and security measures;
- Overseeing data management processes to facilitate data use; and
- Planning and executing data/digitalisation related initiatives to refresh and enhance the functionality of a data lab.
You will have the opportunity to engage a diverse group of stakeholders in the public service, academia and private sector on research-related issues. You may also be required undertake secretariat duties for important research and data forums.
- Qualifications and/or relevant experience in Data Science, Economics, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or related disciplines with substantial quantitative or computational content
- Experience and ability to prepare and analyse data using R is a must. Knowledge of other data analytics tools Python, STATA, SAS would be a plus.
- Strong background in data visualization (e.g. creating geospatial dashboards on R Shiny, Tableau, Power BI), machine learning techniques, and statistical modelling including predictive models.
- Experience in handling data (e.g. SQL, ETL, Hadoop) and GIS tools (e.g. ArcGIS), and navigating of the government data architecture will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication and written skills and the ability to explain research results simply and logically to non-technical audience.
- Able to synthesize different perspectives and working with researchers from similar background and other disciplines such as sociology, psychology and economics.
Applicants will be notified on whether they are shortlisted or not within 4 weeks of the closing of this job posting.