[This position may be based remotely. You must be able to work from home and align with Pacific time working hours as needed.]
At Brightloom, we are working to create meaningful relationships between people and the brands they love. Up until now, only a select few brands could afford or knew how to put together a top-notch digital engagement and ordering platform. Now the top leaders who built and led the data-driven approach to customer engagement at Starbucks and Amazon are, together with their world-class teams of data scientists, engineers and industry experts, productizing this approach to enable any consumer brand to deliver a seamless and personalized digital customer experience.
Our flexible and modular platform combines convenience (digital ordering channels), personal relevance (personalized marketing) and engagement (loyalty) that allow brands to grow their business through strong and enduring customer relationships.
As a Principal Data Scientist on our Customer Growth Platform, you'll create and develop predictive models, such as customer lifetime value models, personalized product recommendations, and more. You'll lead a team to develop real-time optimization algorithms that use customer data as a feedback loop. You will also help develop our experimentation framework-we are a startup with lots of interesting data science projects to go around.
The principal level indicates you'll be a leader within the data science group. You'll be expected to help make key decisions on data science strategy, and mentor the more junior data scientists on the team. You'll have a broad area of influence within the company and will be relied on to voice your thoughts as needed. That said, despite your high level you'll be an individual contributor-you'll get to focus on creating innovative data science products and not managing.
What You'll Do
- Incrementally improve existing data science methods. You'll be working on a team that is quickly developing a whole suite of models. As a principal data scientist, you'll be expected to devise solutions for improving the models currently deployed to our customers.
- Writing code that can be put into production. The data science team writes packages that are directly called by the engineering team. You should be comfortable with model software development methods like unit testing and git.
- Develop innovative data science methods. Our unique customer profile will have you on the forefront of tackling new approaches to their marketing opportunities. You'll have the opportunity to work directly with our customers to understand their problems, and then create solutions that can be put into production. Your methods need to be robust and scalable for real customers.
- Mentoring junior data scientists and creating team infrastructure. You'll help more junior data scientists with best coding practices and modeling techniques. You'll also help build the team by creating processes and documentation to make the work more consistent.
- Communicating and collaborating with non-data scientists. You'll constantly be working with stakeholders who are not data scientists-from software engineers to designers you'll need to share data science insights and use their feedback to alter your work.
- BA/BS in a quantitative discipline such as Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, or Computer Science, with a MA/MS preferred. Experience can be substituted for a degree if appropriate.
- Demonstrated success using machine learning model development to solve business needs in a corporate environment. You've created models that have driven key decision-making insights or have been deployed to production environments
- Expertise in running data science models at scale on popular computing platforms such as Spark
- Expertise in Python, Julia, R, or a different programming language with statistics and machine learning capabilities
- Well versed in data science and machine learning methods. You understand different algorithms and methods for training and testing models.
- Experience with experimental design or optimization
- Have mentored or managed junior data scientists
- Have experience in communicating with stakeholders who are not data scientists
- Experience working in the consumer marketing space
- Have worked at startups or other environments with ambiguity.
What We Offer
- Fun, creative and collaborative remote work environment
- Competitive pay and equity/stock options
- Health, Dental & Vision Insurance Coverage
- Pet Insurance
- Life Insurance, Short-Term Disability, Long-Term Disability
- Phone/Internet Reimbursement
- Home Office Refresh Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program
- Flexible Spending Account & Health Savings Account
- Flexible Time Off + 14 company-paid holidays
Brightloom is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.