As Data Scientist you will apply Deep Learning, Machine Learning, graph based algorithms and other technologies in the field of predictive breeding and target identification for crop improvement. The activities involve the integration, analysis and interpretation of biological data, as well as the identification and development of innovative technologies in the field. You will actively interact with other scientists and with stakeholders to develop the content of work packages, to execute on them, and to communicate about the results.
The position is based in Zwijnaarde, Belgium, in the innovation center focused on crop research. The position is part of an international and interdisciplinary team of scientists in the BASF R&D Digitalization department. BASF has about ten thousand employees working in research and development worldwide.
What you can expect:
- Proactively identify and drive the development of machine learning, deep learning, graph based and other solutions, in close interaction with internal customers across BASF.
- Develop and execute analyses, involving colleagues in an interdisciplinary and global team of experts.
- Interpretation of the results, in interaction with specialists in agronomy.
- Communication about the work packages and the analysis results to various stakeholders.
- Drive the innovation of novel methods to support predictive breeding and target identification, visualization and interpretation methodologies, and the constant improvement of existing methodologies.
- Interact with customers and potential customers in BASF, and with external companies and academic partners.
- Experienced in machine learning and deep learning technologies for the computational integration and interpretation of biological datasets.
- Experience with applications in predictive breeding and/or target identification in crops is a plus.
- PhD in Computational Biology, Data Science, Agronomy, Biotechnology or related fields.
- At least one year of post-doctoral experience in a field related to the job profile, or a Master's degree with 10 years experience or a BS degree with 13 years experience.
- Experience with statistical analysis packages and bioinformatics programs.
- Experience with scripting and/or programming, relational databases, graph databases. Experience with python, keras / tensorflow, pandas. Experienced user of Linux / Unix.
- Good practical knowledge and work experience in plant biology, genetics and genomics.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills to understand research needs, question practices and improve approaches.
- Goal oriented mind set with strong organizational and work management skills.
- Responsibility from day one in a challenging work environment and on-the-job training as part of a committed team.
- Competitive compensation including attractive benefits as well as excellent career opportunities in an international company.
We are the world's leading chemical company because we offer intelligent solutions for our customers and for a sustainable future. We connect and develop people with diverse talents all over the world. For you, this means a variety of ways to advance.
Not only your performance but also your personality matters to us, without regard of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief. At BASF, careers develop from opportunities.
Do you have any questions about the application process or the job?
Nele (Talent acquisition)
Phone: +49 30 2005-58363
At BASF, the chemistry is right.
Because we are counting on innovative solutions, on sustainable actions, and on connected thinking. And on you. Become a part of our formula for success and develop the future with us - in a global team that embraces diversity and equal opportunities irrespective of gender, age, origin, sexual orientation, disability or belief.