We are looking for a Data Engineer who has worked on complex data analytics products, is an expert in modern web technologies, and is comfortable working in the ambiguity involved with new product concepts. The Data Engineer will work as part of a product team consisting of a Product Manager and Human-Centered Design Strategist, guiding technical solutions by taking a human-centered approach focused on business and user needs. The Data Engineer will also collaborate with other team members throughout the lifecycle, such as other developers, data analysts, and data scientists across the program. This individual must be self-directed, comfortable with ambiguity, and able to communicate technical concepts to non-technical customers and stakeholders.
- Start date – ASAP
- Visa requirements – No limitations. Need to have lived in the USA for past 4 consecutive years
- location/remote – 100% remote
- Contract Length - 6 months+
- Collaborate with research and design, product management, and financial and policy analysts to conduct discovery
- Based off of findings from discovery, work with product team to explore possible solutions to test
- Research and recommend tools and platforms that might be suitable to address identified business and user needs. May include COTS tools with ATOs and existing custom software
- Collaborate with research and design and product management to develop technical prototypes, or contribute to design prototypes, for testing with end users
- Function as a full-stack developer for the product team
- Develop and contribute to the design of appropriate data visualizations for complex data sets to drive business outcomes
- Drive critical technical principles like security, reusability, efficiency, and scalability
- Contribute to cultural and process transformation toward a modern product team working model
Suitable candidates must be able to:
- 6+ years as a Data Engineer (a wide range of experience with modern full stack technologies is a big plus)
- Experience visualizing complex data sets, including experience working with modern data visualization platforms and libraries (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, Chart.js)
- Experience with Agile and SAFe methodologies
- Experience developing proof-of-concept prototypes
- Familiarity/comfort with human-centered design, user research, and user experience methodologies
- Government and/or healthcare experience a plus
1. Provide a summary of a time you worked on a proof-of-concept prototype. What did you use that prototype to learn
2. Do you have experience creating data visualizations If so, please provide examples of technologies or platforms you've worked with.Q & A with the client:
It's important that the candidate is familiar with multiple modern technologies and can be flexible, rather than needing to have background in a specific language. We mentioned SQL in the job description because it's likely that we would need the engineer to be proficient enough to be able to create a prototype in Tableau.
As for data analytics vs full-stack development, full-stack is important, given that we need the engineer to be flexible and responsive to different problem spaces. That said, a lot of the problems we expect to help model teams with are data-related, so I would expect that the engineer has a basic sense of what it takes to support a data product.
If candidates don't have experience with data visualizations, recent COTS (consumer off-the-shelf products) experience is acceptable. One of the projects the client worked on recently involved Tableau so it would be helpful if candidates have experience with that.