Data Scientist Consultant
Background of this search: The Inter-American Development Bank’s Knowledge, Innovation and Communication Sector (KIC) through the Knowledge and Learning Division (KLD) aims to bring the latest learning products and opportunities at the IDB’s disposal to strengthen training of its own staff and of its operational partners.
Among other initiatives, KLD promotes dialogue and reflection upon the experiences and learnings gained during the implementation of the Bank’s projects, generates knowledge products that facilitate and improve operational performance and promotes collaboration and knowledge exchange among personnel.
The team’s mission: KLD supports a line of work dedicated to using artificial intelligence for knowledge management and tackling challenges related to identifying and accessing knowledge, particularly utilizing natural language processing techniques to extract value from unstructured data.
Objective: The objective of this consultancy is to aid in the development and improvement of AI-powered knowledge management tools currently being developed by KLD.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with economists, operation specialists, knowledge management specialists, and outside vendors to ideate and propose data science solutions for knowledge management.
- Develop proof of concept solutions to knowledge management challenges.
- Use your Python skills and knowledge of natural language processing techniques to support and improve existing data products including:
- Support and improve a data pipeline to automate the extraction of text from documents to be used in AI applications.
- Develop, train and test supervised and unsupervised classification algorithms for text classification in multiple languages.
- Word embeddings models that power search and retrieval processes related to people profiles, documents, and lessons learned content.
- Contribute with reports, presentations, and documentation as required by the supervisor.
- Work on dashboards and data visualizations using Python and other data visualization libraries.
- Respond to ad hoc requests related to bank’s operational data and other text data analysis, for example document readership data, analyzing citations in documents, etc.
Projects you will work on:
- An operational learning search engine.
- An experience location system.
- A literature review engine.
- Others as agreed with supervisor.
Deliverables and Payments timeline:
- Reports on evaluation activities and indicators.
- Updated databases and inputs of lessons learned tools.
- Report on knowledge exchanges and contest submissions and evaluation processes.
Payment: Three payments of upon monthly presentation of progress in each product line:
- Lumpsum (1): 33.33%
- Lumpsum (2): 33.33%
- Lumpsum (3): 33.34%
What you’ll need:
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
- Education: Bachelor’s Degree in computer science with experience in Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics, Data Science, or related fields
- Experience: Minimum two years of relevant experience.
- Languages: Ability to read, write and speak fluently in Spanish or English.
Core and Technical Competencies:
- Self-management, flexibility, dependability, relationship building, results-driven, with strong communication skills.
- Experience working with text data and knowledge of common NLP algorithms used for text classification, information retrieval, text summarization, word embeddings, etc.
- Knowledge of SQL, Python and its common libraries for data analysis and NLP is required. Knowledge of R is desirable.
- Experience working with relational and non-relational databases, extracting data, and maintain data pipelines.
- Ability to write clean code. Experience with version control systems such as Git a plus. (Include link to github portfolio in your application)
- Experience working in an inter-disciplinary/cross-functional team and communicating to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Knowledge and experience deploying applications on AWS a plus.
- Type of contract and modality: Product and External Services Consultant, Lump Sum
- Length of contract: 3 months
- Location: Remote
- Responsible person: Lead Learning and Knowledge Management Specialist.
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48-member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.