What You Will Do: Lead Data Scientists on the data science team works with product managers, data engineers, and other analysts and business partners across the company to develop innovative solutions that transform the way Transamerica conducts business. You will apply your broad knowledge and experience in data science techniques, including exploratory data analysis, model fitting, and model validation. At the same time, you will interface with business partners to draft requirements, communicate results, and lead projects. You will share your expertise and knowledge of what works to help drive your team to success and guide less experienced team members.
What You Will Learn: In this role, you will be working with a team of talented and engaged professionals with diverse backgrounds who collaborate to provide the best possible solutions for business partners. Because data science is a rapidly developing field, you can expect support to read papers, try new approaches, and stay at the forefront of what’s possible. Meanwhile, you will benefit from expertise of supportive team members with academic and industry backgrounds.
What Success Looks Like:
- Build and architect end-to-end data science solutions starting from business data and ending with productionalized models.
- Use deep theoretical and practical knowledge of statistics to perform experimental design, distributional analyses, and hypothesis testing to understand business problems and model effectiveness.
- Supervise modeling work of Associate Data Scientists and Data Scientists.
- Apply advanced methods to challenging business problems, such as state-of-the-art deep learning architectures for NLP of unstructured text or autoregression for sophisticated time-series analyses.
- Provide peer review of modeling approaches undertaken by colleagues and participate in code reviews to ensure quality and correctness in production.
- Add to foundational capabilities by creating reusable components and developing best practices and interfaces on top of new technologies and infrastructure.
- Help to guide process improvements and increase quality standards in team operations and model productionalization.
- Leverage and expand domain expertise and business acumen to proactively identify opportunities for data science to make positive impacts in business processes.
- Deliver high quality project documentation suitable for publication and subsequent internal and external use.
- Keep abreast of new developments in data science and rapidly learn new techniques to apply in novel problems.
What You Need:
- Master’s degree in computer science, machine learning, data science, mathematics, statistics, physics, or related quantitative field.
- Three years of post-degree experience working on academic or industry data science problems.
- Broad experience with and advanced knowledge of statistics and machine learning, including experimental design, hypothesis testing, exploratory data analysis, visualization, feature engineering, clustering, classification, and model evaluation.
- Deep knowledge of and experience with a reasonably complete subset of representative core machine learning algorithms such as UMAP, k-means, DBSCAN, logistic regression, decision trees, bootstrap aggregation, gradient boosting, SVMs, and isolation forests.
- Advanced programming ability in Python or R, including asymptotic runtime complexity awareness.
- Knowledge of core data science libraries such as pandas, numpy, scipy, and scikit-learn (or their R equivalents).
- Familiarity with technologies and processes supporting data science, such as GNU/Linux, version control (e.g. git), unit testing, and automation.
- Advanced SQL knowledge supporting data extraction, data manipulation, and analysis.
- Effective working knowledge of calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and probability along with strong statistical background.
- Ability to work within cloud infrastructure using technologies like cloud computing, storage, and databases (e.g. Amazon EC2, Redshift, and S3).
- Strong communication and presentation skills supporting drafting requirements and defining scope, connecting and translating analytical outcomes to business outcomes, and communicating technical concepts and results to non-technical business partners.
- Curiosity and a desire to constantly learn and improve.
- PhD in computer science, machine learning, data science, mathematics, statistics, physics, or related quantitative field.
- Five years of post-degree experience working on academic or industry data science problems.
- Knowledge of deep learning techniques, including CNNs, RNNs, autoencoders, and transfer learning.
- Advanced programming ability specifically in Python with augmenting knowledge of other programming languages and paradigms.
- Strong and effective shell scripting.
- Optional occasional travel
**Please note that the compensation information that follows is a good faith estimate for this position only and is provided pursuant to the Colorado Equal Pay for Equal Work Act and Equal Pay Transparency Rules. It is estimated based on what a successful Colorado applicant might be paid. It assumes that the successful candidate will be in Colorado or perform the position from Colorado. Similar positions located outside of Colorado will not necessarily receive the same compensation. **
The Salary for this position generally ranges between $117,600-$156,450. This range is an estimate, based on potential employee qualifications, operational needs and other considerations permitted by law. The range may vary above and below the stated amounts, as permitted by Colorado Equal Pay Transparency Rule 4.1.2.
This position is also typically eligible for an Annual Bonus based on the Company Bonus Plan/Individual Performance and is at Company Discretion at a rate of 17.5%.
What You Receive:
- A Comprehensive Wealth + Health package. It’s our passion to empower people, and especially our employees, to add years to their lives and more life to their years. That means a healthy account balance and a healthy body to match. As you’ll come to discover, Wealth + Health is a central part of everything we do!
- Wealth Benefits; Competitive Pay, Bonus, and Benefits Package; Pension Plan, 401k Match, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, Tuition Reimbursement, Disability Insurance, Employee Discounts, Career Training & Development Opportunities, Certification Sponsorship
- Health and Work/Life Balance Benefits; Be Well Company sponsored holistic wellness program which includes Wellness Coaching and reward dollars, Parental Leave, Adoption Assistance, Employee Assistance Program, College Coach Program, Back-up Care Program, Paid Time Off to Volunteer, Employee Matching Gifts Program, Employee Resource Groups, Inclusion and Diversity Programs, Employee Recognition Program
Our commitment to inclusion & diversity means that we value differences. We encourage the unique perspectives of individuals and are dedicated to creating a respectful and inclusive work environment.