What We Do:
The SEI helps advance software engineering principles and practices and serves as a national resource in software engineering, computer security, and process improvement. The SEI works closely with defense and government organizations, industry, and academia to continually improve software-intensive systems. Our core purpose is to help organizations improve software engineering capabilities and develop or acquire the right software, defect free, within budget and on time, every time.Position Summary:
The SEI’s Engineering Intelligent Software Systems directorate is an applied research and development team creating and transitioning innovative solutions, theories, principles, and automated tools to improve the development and quality of large-scale mission-critical systems. The scope of our work includes:
- Implementing and extending the body of work in software architecture and engineering AI-enabled systems,
- Validating new concepts through prototyping and engineering demonstrations in industry and government settings,
- Architecting and developing systems to support variety of missions, such as systems operating at the tactical edge in resource-constrained environments, AI-enabled, C4I, and information management systems.
We are seeking a Machine Learning Research Scientist to conduct applied research, mature and prototype technologies, and transition technology to government organizations. This is an excellent opportunity to work with leading researchers and faculty at a truly world-class institution. You will develop mission and business-relevant prototypes and practices, co-author papers and research proposals, execute studies, and present findings to customers, DoD sponsors, and at academic conferences to advance both the state-of the-art and practice.
The ideal candidate will enjoy working with world-renowned researchers/engineers at the SEI, Carnegie Mellon University, and other universities and R&D centers as well as customers.
If you are a Research Scientist passionate about improving the ability to deliver high quality, high-demand systems, and you are committed to researching new ideas to bring innovation to government, then this is the position for you.Requirements:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- MS or higher in computer science, machine learning, statistics, or related discipline
- Five or more (5+) years of experience in system/software architecture and development for data analytics, machine learning, or natural language processing.
- Willingness to travel to various locations to support the SEI’s overall mission. This includes within the SEI and CMU community, sponsor sites, conferences, and offsite meetings on occasion (15% travel)
- You will be subject to a background check and will need to obtain and maintain a Department of Defense security clearance
- Expertise in taking research ideas through the process of idea germination, proposal formulation, and execution resulting in proven prototypes and papers
- Expertise deploying systems that contain AI components into operational environments (i.e., getting ML models out of the lab and into real systems)
- Expertise implementing and applying machine learning techniques to different types of data sets
- Familiar with at least one deep learning framework (e.g., TensorFlow, Caffe)
- Familiar with at least one mathematical/statistical programming package (e.g., python numpy/scipy/pandas, R, MATLAB, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in small teams with a variety of technical and organizational skills
- Superb social skills (oral and written)
- Five or more (5+) years of industry or research lab experience
- Experience with specific methods listed above and/or evidence that you can learn
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.Job Function:
Artifical Intelligence / Machine LearningPrimary Location:
United States-Pennsylvania-PittsburghTime Type:
Full TimeMinimum Education Level: