At Disney, we’re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. The Walt Disney Company is a world- class entertainment and technological leader. Walt’s passion was to continuously envision new ways to move audiences around the world—a passion that remains our touchstone in an enterprise that stretches from theme parks, resorts and a cruise line to sports, news, movies and a variety of other businesses. Uniting each endeavor is a commitment to creating and delivering unforgettable experiences — and we’re constantly looking for new ways to enhance these exciting experiences.
The Enterprise Technology mission is to deliver technology solutions that align to business strategies while enabling enterprise efficiency and promoting cross-company collaborative innovation. The Enterprise Technology organization drives competitive advantage by enhancing our consumer experiences, enabling business growth, and advancing operational excellence.
This role is part of the Enterprise Business Systems (EBS) organization. Our mission is to provide business technology solutions for the enterprise that empower growth, and enhance value across brands, geographies and organizations.
The Data Solutions & Architecture group is part of the Enterprise Technology organization. We are responsible for architecting, developing and managing the data platforms, data integrations and reporting and analytics solutions for The Walt Disney Company’s enterprise business data. We are experts at architecting and building highly scalable data and analytics solutions that meet the business requirements of the groups across the company we support.
As part of our team, you will be working with a full range of data technologies and architectures including big data platforms, enterprise data warehouses, pub/sub data messaging, master data management, AI/ML predictive analytics, Robotics Process Automation, and multiple reporting and analytics frameworks and tools.
You will be working in a complex, challenging, fast-paced and rewarding environment, with other like- minded peers who are solutions and results oriented, and who enjoy collaboration. Besides being experts in their respective fields, our architects and developers are smart, curious, innovative, solutions-oriented, respectful, highly collaborative and continuous learners.
The Senior Data Engineer is a key engineering role in the Enterprise Business Systems organization, responsible for leading and doing data design and modeling, developing data models, and data integration across multiple data platforms and data domains.
- Data engineering and data modeling
- Design and developing data models across all of the organization’s data systems, especially in the major data platforms (data warehouses, data lakes, master data management systems).
- Developing highly-scalable and flexible, cost-effective enterprise data solutions
- Developing secure and compliant data solutions
- Work with Business & Lead Architects to understand business processes along with reporting and analytical needs and convert the requirements into the Functional/Technical specification and runbooks
- Identify and promote best practices and patterns for data modeling and provide oversight for activities related to report migration and data consolidation.
- Keeping fluent in the industry and marketplace evolution-staying current with vendor product offerings and common and emerging data solutions in use across the industry; continously learning new data technologies and introducing these into the organization
- Cross-training peers and mentoring teammates
Skills & Key Attributes
- Expertise in HANA data modeling and performance optimization
- Expertise in SQL coding
- Expertise in ETL, data integration, data engineering, data design and data modeling
- Expertise in cloud-based data platforms
- Expertise with all aspects of data management: data governance, data mastering, meta-data management, data taxonomies and ontologies
- Expertise in developing and delivering highly-scalable and flexible, cost effective, cloud-based enterprise data solutions
- Expertise developing secure and compliant data solutions
- Experience in designing security models
- Expertise in object-oriented software development
- Current with new technologies and vendor solutions available in the marketplace
- Strong collaboration skills and ability to establish and manage effective working relationships in a matrixed organizational structure
- Strong leadership skills
- Excellent technical problem solving and data analysis skills; Strong communication and presentation skills. Ability to communicate well to both technical and business audiences
- Ability to “influence without authority.” Strong consensus-building ability and negotiating skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both oral and written. Ability to communicate well to both technical and business audiences.
- Innovative thinking and embraces innovation by constantly seeking new or contrary ideas and approaches to what has been done in the past. Thinks big and broad, without being constrained by existing norms or business models.
- Results oriented, biased toward action
- Keeps fluent in new technologies and successful sharing with peers and introducing new technologies
- Chooses optimism and calls out cynicism and unproductive behavior
- Demonstrates stamina, resilience and perseverance under trying circumstances
- In-depth experience in data engineering, ETL, data integration and data modeling
- In-depth experience in SAP HANA data modeling
- Experience data modeling in multiple platforms including experience with HANA data modeling, SQL data warehouses
- Experience with data security and compliance
- Experience and with data lifecycle management, data-tiering and data archiving
- Experience with Finance and HCM data and business domains is a plus
- Proven track record of execution-driving results and meeting commitments.
- 5 years + in data engineering and data modeling
- Experience in Snowflake
- Experience with BI tools such as Tableau, Cognos, Business Objects, SAP Analytics Cloud
- Experience in data science
- Knowledge of S/4 HANA, CDS Views and data archiving concepts
BS Computer Science or related technology field or equivalent professional experience