The Red Hat Enterprise Data and Analytics team is looking for a Senior Data Engineer with over 5 years of experience to join our growing team in Raleigh, NC. In this role, you will primarily support the data needs of our growing Red Hat’s business teams. You’ll work as part of the data engineering team, designing, developing, implementing, and supporting enterprise data warehousing, data pipelines, and data solutions for business analytics, reports, and dashboards. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will work with cross-functional teams, participating in gathering requirements and coordinating with business analysts to document and catalog all necessary requirements and artifacts. Using your skills and experience as an engineer, you will then use these requirements to design, develop, test, and implement solutions using emerging and traditional data technologies. Successful applicants must reside in a state where Red Hat is registered to do business.
Primary job responsibilities:
- Enable data pipelines for operational reporting and analytical capabilities for internal business customers
- Design and implement technology best practices, guidelines, and repeatable processes
- Create and run unit and integration testing
- Provide support as required to ensure the availability and performance of developed reports and dashboards for external and internal users
- Provide technical assistance and cross-training to other team members
- Provide training and assistance to users of the data pipelines
- Perform duties with moderate to low supervision
- Articulate solutions and recommendations on complex issues within your area of expertise
- Design improvements and maintain Red Hat’s enterprise data platform
- Work closely with team members and stakeholders to turn business problems into analytical projects, translated requirements, and solutions
- Work cross-functionally with teams on data migration, translation, and organization initiatives
- Translate large volumes of raw, unstructured data into efficiently stored and easily digestible formats
- Bachelor's degree with 5+ years of relevant working experience or master’s degree with 2+ years of working experience in computer science or software engineering
- Experience developing and implementing enterprise-scale reports and dashboards
- Flexibility to learn new tools as needed
- Performance tuning experience related to reporting queries
- Experience extracting, cleaning, and integrating data for reporting through Python, SQL, and ETL tools
- Knowledge of logical and physical data modeling concepts like relational and dimensional
- Understanding of data integration issues like validation and cleaning; familiarity with complex data and structures
- Excellent analytical ability, communication skills, solid judgment, and the ability to work effectively with business and technical associates
- Ability to problem-solve and to test and implement new technologies and tools
- Solid grasp of data systems and how they interact with each other
- Excellent analytical skills to determine the source and resolution of highly complex problems
- Proficient Python programming experience
- Excellent data manipulation skills, namely using SQL and Python
- Experience extracting unstructured data from REST APIs and NoSQL databases
- Solid grasp of version control, e.g., Git or Apache Subversion (SVN)
The following are considered a plus:
Experience with distributed computing frameworks, e.g., Dask or PySpark
- Experience with Linux system administration, shell scripting, and virtualization technology, e.g., containers
- Knowledge of more than one business intelligence (BI) tool like Tableau, SAP BusinessObjects (BOBJ), QlikView, etc.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL
- Experience with data processing applications using cloud technologies like Amazon Web Services (AWS) EMR
- Experience with agile development methodologies like scrum and kanban
- Experience with technologies like Red Hat OpenShift, Git, Python, Juypter notebooks, and Pandas
- Experience with continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) methods and tools like Jenkins
About Red Hat:
Red Hat is the world’s leading provider of enterprise open source software solutions, using a community-powered approach to deliver reliable and high-performing Linux, hybrid cloud, container, and Kubernetes technologies. Red Hat helps customers integrate new and existing IT applications, develop cloud-native applications, standardize on our industry-leading operating system, and automate, secure, and manage complex environments. Award-winning support, training, and consulting services make Red Hat a trusted adviser to the Fortune 500. As a strategic partner to cloud providers, system integrators, application vendors, customers, and open source communities, Red Hat can help organizations prepare for the digital future.
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Flexible Spending Account - healthcare and dependent care
- Health Savings Account - high deductible medical plan
- Retirement 401(k) with employer match
- Paid time off and holidays
- Paid parental leave plans for all new parents
- Leave benefits including disability, paid family medical leave, and paid military leave
- Additional benefits including employee stock purchase plan, family planning reimbursement, tuition reimbursement, transportation expense account, employee assistance program, and more!
Note: These benefits are only applicable to full time, permanent associates at Red Hat located in the United States.
Red Hat is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer. We review applications for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, uniformed services, genetic information, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Red Hat does not seek or accept unsolicited resumes or CVs from recruitment agencies. We are not responsible for, and will not pay, any fees, commissions, or any other payment related to unsolicited resumes or CVs except as required in a written contract between Red Hat and the recruitment agency or party requesting payment of a fee.