Temporary Full Time
As soon as possible, until approximately November 2022
Days off: Saturday, Sunday, Statutory Holidays
Come work as a Data Scientist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Data Scientist to join the Decision Support team. Apply today to join our team!
As a Data Scientist with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Act in accordance with the priorities at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH) to build and increase capacity and support for the cognitive computing learning systems to create and enhance insights gained from analyzing data.
- Work in a role that is diverse and spans across a wide variety of challenges in healthcare from patient flow management, quality, staff and patient scheduling, capacity planning, inventory management, finances and others.
- Work collaboratively with solution architects, business analysts and stakeholders from Operations, Finance, People, IT and Business Leadership.
- Adeptly uses large data sets and machine learning (ML) models to find opportunities for product and process optimization as well as to test the effectiveness of different courses of action.
- Discover solutions hidden in large data sets and work with stakeholders and functional teams to improve business processes and outcomes.
- Stay apprised of current trends and research on all aspects of advanced analytic techniques and will work in collaboration with provincial and national colleagues.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and going first when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Education & Experience
- PhD in Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or another quantitative field, five (5) to seven (7) years of recent, related experience working with large datasets and machine learning models.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will also be considered.
- Experience in the health care sector is an asset.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Advanced skills in AI product design and the analysis of quantitative data for the purpose of creating actionable insights and measureable impact.
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, processes, procedures and methods involved in data mining, data analysis, statistical methods, and machine learning.
- Demonstrated expertise in planning, organizing and coordinating AI product activities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using advanced machine learning methods, machine learning software packages, and manipulation of large datasets.
- Knowledge and experience in statistical and data mining techniques including but not limited to: GLM/Regression, Random Forest, Boosting, Trees, text mining, network analysis, simulation, scenario analysis, clustering analysis, decision trees, neural networks, etc.
- Experience writing computer code, querying databases, and using statistical computer languages: Python, SLQ, R, and others.
- Experience with distributed data/computing tools: Map/Reduce, Hadoop, AWS, Hive, Spark, Gurobi, MySQL, etc.
- Experience visualizing/presenting data for stakeholders using: R, Tableau, Jupyter, Matplotlib, D3, ggplot, Periscope, or other.
- Demonstrated expertise in knowledge synthesis and translation activities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary environment.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Please note: The duration of this temporary position is until approximately November 2022.
Please note that a resume is required to apply to this posting.
Hours of Work may vary due to project requirements.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
VCH is proud to be recognized as a Best Place to Work in Canada in 2021 by Glassdoor and Forbes.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
***Employees of VCH must apply via the Internal Application Process. Refer to the https://my.vch.ca/working-here/job-postings site for How to Apply instructions. Current VCH employees who apply to this posting using this external site will be considered as an external candidate. Seniority will not apply.***
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.