Data Manager/Analyst, European Power
London Head Office, Holborn
11am – 7pm
Argus Media is global media organisation providing essential information, daily reports and analytical tools on energy and commodity markets. We are a rapidly growing firm with a presence in the UK, the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, China, Singapore, Dubai, Brazil, Mexico, South Africa, Russia, Ukraine, Latvia and Kazakhstan.
We are looking for a Data Manager/Analyst to join our European generation fuels team, with a focus on the European power market.
This is an excellent opportunity for an early career data analyst or data journalist to develop deep expertise in managing, structuring and interrogating the fundamental data key to understanding the European power market — a key plank of the transition to a low-carbon future.
Your role will include monitoring and assuring the quality of our automatically-collected data, maintaining the data taxonomy, and developing tools to interrogate and analyse the data.
You will work closely with our power and fuel feedstocks editorial teams who make heavy use of this data, as well as with our data science and technology development teams who oversee our data systems and architecture. You will also liaise with existing third-party service providers to ensure that our data collection remains comprehensive and timely.
Over time, you will have the opportunity to develop your skills further — whether by developing your technical abilities in R or other languages, or by developing your analytical abilities producing content for our power and generation fuels publications.
The environment is fast-paced but values careful thought and cultivates a collegiate atmosphere. You will enjoy collaborative work with colleagues from a range of backgrounds, many located in Argus’ other offices around the globe.
- Monitoring and quality assurance of automatically-collected data
- Liaising with service providers to ensure data collection is comprehensive and timely
- Developing tools in Excel/Power BI for interrogation/analysis of the data
Skills and Experience
- Educated to bachelor’s degree level from a leading university
- Understanding of relational database concepts (PK, FK, joins, groupings, unique constrains and indexes)
- SQL knowledge at intermediate level (preferably MS SQL)
- Expertise in PowerQuery (Excel, PowerBI) and experience writing code using VBA
- Be able to set up and invoke data connectivity mechanisms (ADO, DAO, ODBC)
- R and Rshiny experience useful but not essential
- Project management experience useful but not essential
- Strong co-ordination and time management skills
- Demonstrable interest in data curation and analysis
- Self motivated, able to use initiative and inquisitive by nature
- Strong social skills and team-oriented
About Argus Media
Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
Argus is an independent media organisation with almost 1100 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 26 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor.
Our rapidly-growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group pension scheme
- Group healthcare and life assurance scheme
- Flexible working
- 25 days holiday with annual increase up to 30 days
- Subsidised gym membership
- Season ticket travel loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extensive internal and external training
Please send your CV and Cover Letter via our website www.argusmedia.com/en/careers/open-positions
Argus is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.