Our mission is to exponentially improve drug development and the practice of medicine by learning from the care journey of every patient. We do it by developing novel AI and data pipelining technologies that can connect medical centers across the world and make sense of both unstructured and structured clinical data.
There have been many failed attempts to build a similar platform leaving the clinical and research community with one of two options: breadth with low fidelity (structured data) or high fidelity without breadth and scale (brute force abstraction of unstructured data). Our IP is a foundational breakthrough that can understand clinical context at scale and have been validated by marquee pharma and data companies.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join our team! You will be responsible for architecting and engineering our core data platform used for ingesting, standardizing, and storing all data that is received.
- Collaborate with product management and customer delivery teams to ensure product requirements are clear on what customers expect and what the delivery teams should set as the right expectations with the customers.
- Partner cross functionally to build and improve new/existing constructs and solve data engineering problems.
- Communicate rigorously within the group on goals, ongoing progress, milestones, and any issues.
- Leverage the DevOps team to ensure product can be automatically built, deployed, and tested using CI/CD pipelines across all of the release cycles from dev to production.
- Development and Functional Testing committed to stories, tasks, and defects within a sprint cycle with high quality every time.
- Development and maintenance of automated tests and CI/CD scripts that provide high coverage of all the key positive and negative use cases that customers need to ensure no regression occurs from release to release.
- Mentor junior Engineers.
- Position requires a four-year degree from an accredited college or university.
- 5 years or more of software development experience or at least 3 years of experience with a master's degree in computer science or related field.
- 3 years of experience with functional programming languages such as Scala, Java 8+ in design and development of distributed high-availability and reliability web applications.
- 2 years of experience with data streaming technologies similar to Akka, Spark Streaming, Flink, Kafka, etc.
- 3 years of experience developing RESTful applications using microservices with Spring Boot (or similar technologies) in multi-threaded, distributed environments.
- 3 years of experience using SQL and NoSQL databases, Cloud or serverless technologies and frameworks such as AWS, Kinesis, API Gateway, CloudFormation/Terraform, IAM, AWS Lambda, S3, SNS, SQS, etc.
- 3 years of experience leveraging AWS and Tomcat, Docker, business models, data models, tools, or functionality.
- 2 years of experience with CI/CD and DevOps technologies such as Azure DevOps Code Pipeline, Jenkins, shell scripts, etc. and an Agile software development methodology.
- Hacked a non-computer system before.
- Experience with GCP, AWS and other cloud platforms.
- Experience with Kubernetes.
- Experience building healthcare applications.
- Contribute to open source projects
Why You Should Join Our Team
Benjamin Franklin once said: If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing. — at Mendel you can do the latter. There are two things more devastating than learning that you or your loved ones have a terminal illness; getting the wrong treatment or not finding any. At Mendel, we are on a sincere mission to solve many never-solved-before technology challenges that can enable prescribers and drug makers to do their best.
We are also a fast growing Silicon Valley startup that has raised more than $20M from blue chip venture firms, with revenues more than doubling year to year, tons of benefits, on-site gym, child care, educational leaves, mentorship programs and commuter benefits.