With over 20 years heritage we’re the UKs largest multi service provider and still growing. We supply almost 200k businesses with their gas, electricity, water, insurance, card payment terminals, mobile, broadband and telecoms services. We’ve won numerous awards over the years and this is because our colleagues and customers are at the heart of everything we do. With offices in Glasgow, Central Manchester, South Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle, Ipswich, and Nottingham and employing over 1000 people – we’re on a mission to be the one-stop essential services provider to small businesses, making customers lives easy and helping our people succeed.
At Verastar, we don’t just do jobs, we do careers. We’ve got ambitious growth plans, and our people will grow with us. We’ll give you everything you need to develop and succeed. That means things like flexible working, a totally transparent rewards structure, a diverse and inclusive workplace, and the control to drive your own career and shape your own opportunities.
What You’ll Do As a Data Engineer
You will assist the Senior Data Engineer in developing and building data engineering pipelines and services to transform/integrate data from operational systems into data analytics and business intelligence (BI) systems.
- Developing, deploying and maintaining BI interfaces.
- Maintain, develop, and analyse data pipelines from legacy systems.
- Developing and maintaining data cleansing and data enrichment techniques.
- Endeavour to deliver more than just data by considering how the request can best deliver immediate business value, offering data analysis, profiling and insight where possible.
- Respond to problems in databases, data processes, data products and services as they occur. Initiate actions monitor services and identify trends to resolve problems and prevent future ones.
- Should be able to understand and utilise software methodologies, test driven development, Agile, scrum, and continuous integration.
What you need to have already done to be right for this role
- Strong technical background and proven ability in data collection, transformation and integration, evidencing understanding of data warehousing and dimensional modelling principles with good understanding of data profiling or analysis.
- Data modelling. You understand the concepts and principles of data modelling and can produce relevant data models.
- Practice in working closely with agile teams and stakeholders from discovery to implementation of outcomes, managing stakeholder expectations while seeking continuous improvement in satisfaction and increasing data literacy.
Skills, Qualifications, And Other Requirements
- Strong knowledge and proven track record of development languages
- Strong experience in providing end-to-end BI solutions
- Knowledge of data warehouse development and principles
- Experienced in developing data pipelines using ELT/ETL and DWH/Data marts
- Experience of agile delivery approaches and DevOps
- A logical and methodical mindset
- High degree of competency across the Microsoft SQL stack and working knowledge with Python.
- Experience in SQL Server, SSIS and Power BI is mandatory.
In return for your hard work, you’ll get
- Core benefits including pension contributions and life assurance
- Great discounts on 100s of high street and online stores
- 25 days holiday and the option to buy up to 5 days more
- Cycle to work and travel loans for people wanting a greener commute
- Wellbeing support including 24/7 access to a GP, mental health support, get fit programmes and free legal and financial guidance
The important extras
- Amazing on-site facilities, such as free on-site gym, free parking, subsidised café and to top it off an on-site subsided bar for after-work drinks, quiz nights and social events
- Opportunities to get involved in charity fundraising and volunteering days through our giving back movement
- Full time/Permanent contract of 37.5 hours per week
- Monday to Friday, No weekends, and every bank holiday off
Where to find us
Our newly refurbished HQ is based in the heart of Sale Moor Village next to Sale Water Park. We’re only a stone’s throw away from the M60 and just a short 5-minute walk from the Airport Metro Link line and Sale Town Centre. We also have plenty of free on-site car parking as well as a bike locker if you choose to cycle in.
What Happens Next
If you’re looking for a new challenge with great benefits at an award-winning company, then Verastar is the place for you. To be part of our continued success click ‘Apply’ today to take the next step in your career.