Job Title: Maritime Data Analyst
Reporting To: Content Operations Department
Division: Informa Intelligence
Vertical: Maritime Intelligence
Business: Lloyd's List Intelligence
Do you have what it takes to be at the forefront of Maritime Data Advanced Analytics? The position of Maritime Data Analyst will join a large analytics team at Lloyd's List Intelligence, the global leaders in geo-spatial Big Data vessel tracking and information. As we grow our Analytics capability on top of a bedrock of high quality, real-time and high volume shipping data, we are excited to be shaping a team of experts who will be focussed on data analytics, data science models and machine learning to build excellent workflow solutions for our large customer base across six connected global markets.
This position presents an exciting opportunity for a results-driven individual with some big data experience who wants to be part of our journey to deliver an ambitious roadmap. Some maritime knowledge and experience can be an advantage but more important is is a passion for large scale data analytics and serving customers to the highest level.
- Work closely within the Lloyd's List Intelligence Content team to analyse high volumes of incoming maritime data across ship tracking and vessel information
- Work as part of a project team to build our analytics capabilities for addressing customer Risk and Compliance solutions as per the roadmap
- Deliver analysis and project tasks to strict deadlines and milestones
- Identify and escalate any data/analytics issues quickly and proactively, providing potential solutions
- Provide innovative solutions to problems, individually and as part of a team
- Respond to in-bound client queries related to vessel data to the high SLAs, and escalate queries as necessary
- Undertake training and knowledge take-on to support the business and drive more high quality results, especially to be able to understand maritime behaviour and anomalies to the normal ship behaviour
- Work with product and project managers to understand needs and build solutions
- Able to quickly assimilate understanding data definitions; strengths and weakeness of the sources of data.
- Can review and interpret data efficiently to make sure that data is accurate
- Identify potential weaknesses in the data
- Can instruct in-house and external data teams of how the data should be captured or manipulated.
- Proficient in data analytics and analysis. Can explore the data appropriately and document findings.
- Can use data effectively to conduct proficient quality assurance analysis on the data, such as timeliness and accuracy.
- Can look for patterns, analyse results, and make presentations to others to explain the methodology.
- Able to use data to make decisions with a willingness to explore creative approaches to manipulate the data and use it to derive further content
- Can proficiently query a database to any level requested.
- Has a good understanding of the structure and the tables in oracle databases.
- Acquires a very good understanding of the LLI database and how the tables relate in order to be able to teach others.
- Displays creativity in seeking solutions to problems and in making decisions.
- Able to integrate new ideas with current approaches.
- Effectively identifies potential problems before they arise and acts on issues in the early stages by making decisive decisions.
- Once solved, problems do not arise again.
- Makes good decisions with limited but accurate information while working within a set timeframe.
- Actively seeks input when making decisions and openly encourages a diversity of opinions.
- Explores a variety of strategies for solving problems before presenting the top one or two for assessment
- Can critically assess a process and be able to articulate the benefits to others while also suggesting ways of improving this.
- Always assesses strengths and weaknesses (or dependencies) before suggesting and outlining a process improvement.
Written and Oral Communication
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills and is able to use this to translate complex processes into easily digestible information for any audience to understand.
- Can write easily understandable processes and uses vocabulary required to successfully express thoughts, ideas and explanations.
- Presents comprehensive feedback in way suitable to some audiences.
- Engaged in novel approaches and ideas that can create tangible benefits to the business.
- Makes suggestions and finds out better ways of working.
- Can think through and present how new processes can bring about the most benefit to the business.
- Can communicate and document these ideas so that others can understand whilst also translating this into key business requirements.
- Thrives in, and encourages a culture of continuous improvement
REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERESTED APPLICANTS
- Minimum of a Batchelor's degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering / Maths / Physics or equivalent numerate qualification
- Experience with common data analytics software and programming languages (R, Python, Alteryx and SQL)
- Experience of working with Big Data would be advantageous as is the ability to manipulate, model and analyse diverse datasets for use with analytics techniques
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good command of English verbal and written communication
- Demonstrable ability to work under pressure and manage several tasks simultaneously
- Flexible or extended working may be required from time to time to allow efficient communication with organisations in different time zones or to achieve deadlines
Why work at Informa
Employee experience is very important to us at Informa. On top of joining a supportive, diverse and ambitious team that welcomes all types of candidates. We are also flexible with different working patterns and prioritize promotions internally. Our benefits include:
- Learning and development plan to assist with your career development
- 25 days annual leave, 4 days for volunteering and a day off for your birthday!
- Competitive Benefits
- Work with high quality specialist products
- Bright and friendly staff who are all “expert's experts” and additional training and development for helping you achieve your career aspiration
- Share-Match options - become a shareholder
- Regular social events and networking opportunities
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, military or veteran status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics.
To apply, please submit a copy of your CV with a short covering letter and your remuneration expectations. You must have the right to work in the UK to be considered for this role.