Working for us
- Bring emerging energy solutions like Solar, Batteries, EV, and Renewable Energy to life
- Build a data ecosystem that inspires trust and reliability within our insights function
- Sydney based
At Origin we have a strong purpose and values that challenge us to find the answers to the big energy questions. Every person that works with us helps us reach that goal. If you bring good energy to Origin, you’ll get it in return. A challenging career. An exciting industry. And the support to grow and explore your potential. The Role
This is a unique opportunity to join Origin Energy’s Advanced Analytics team. The Future Energy Analytics team provides analytics support and strategic direction to Origin Zero across the entire suite of Future Energy solutions (Solar PV, Batteries, Electric Vehicles, renewable generation, etc). The team provides actionable insights and recommendations that help key stakeholders make data-driven decisions, ultimately shaping the strategic direction of Origin Zero. The team achieves these objectives through a mix of advanced analytics techniques such as predictive modelling, optimisation, customer usage forecasting, next best action decisioning and data visualisation. This function is critical to understanding the rapidly evolving energy landscape and drive optimal outcomes.
This role will help create a world-class analytics capability for Origin Zero and Future Energy by helping create and maintain a robust and dependable analytics ecosystem that increases our speed to market for new products, identify new customer and product opportunities, and enabling improved executive decision making through data-driven insights.Responsibilities & Duties
Reporting to the Analytics Lead, Future Energy Analytics, you’ll be responsible for and get the opportunity to:
- Be at the cutting edge, bringing Future Energy solutions to life with data: Maintain the analytics ecosystem that enables executive-level decision making around emerging energy solutions.
- Implement a variety of sustainable technical solutions: Enable core analytics activities through the design and development of end-to-end solutions such as data pipelines and cloud databases.
- Ensure trust in our data ecosystem: Govern and monitor the analytics ecosystem to ensure high levels of data quality, consistency and integrity across all disparate data sources and platforms.
- Advocate for the data to maximise understanding: Utilise a strong technical grounding and a high level of detail to analyse and explain the intricacies of the data ecosystem in a manner that assists colleagues and senior team members in engaging with the data.
- Collaborate with a high-performing data team: Work under the guidance of management and senior colleagues to contribute to the dialogue around the evolving analytics ecosystem that will help determine the strategy of the team.
The ideal candidate is an emerging data engineer ready for the next step up in their career. You will have strong technical skills that allow you to craft data solutions and communicate meaningful insights to senior team members and management. This role includes analysis, requirements gathering, and critical thinking: much more than just ETL. This will include being a key contributor to the technical creation of sophisticated data solutions and products as well as assisting colleagues in utilising the data ecosystem to its maximum capacity.Essential
- Contribute to a positive team culture, work in a team environment, and collaborate with technical and non-technical team members and business stakeholders.
- Experience with core data engineering competencies including but not limited to:
- Data warehousing principles, including data architecture, modelling, database design, and performance optimisation best practices.
- Building group data assets and pipelines from scratch, by integrating large quantities of data from disparate internal and external sources.
- Supporting analytics solutions to be productionised, including deployment, automation, orchestration, monitoring, and logging. Preferably with an ETL tool e.g., Matillion, SSIS.
- Implementation of governance and data quality initiatives, including monitoring of software processes, validation of data sources, and regular documentation (e.g. data flow diagrams)
- 4 years of experience with SQL (Postgres preferred), with a core focus on analysing and validating complex and disparate data sets to find gaps between datasets, requirements, and source systems.
- 3+ years of application in a data engineering environment, preferably using AWS and Amazon Redshift, S3, EC2, and AWS Console.
- Tertiary qualification in relevant discipline
- Exposure to a diverse range of industries/roles and responsibilities is viewed favourably, with an adaptable mindset that can work across disparate requests and changing requirements.
- Prior experience building databases, data pipelines or ingesting large amounts of data in Python is favourable.
- Experience with SSH connection configuration and keys is favourable.
- Knowledge and or willing to learn about the Australian energy market.
This is your chance to play a pivotal role in providing valuable, data driven insights into customer behaviours and emerging energy solutions that inform tactical decision making and longer-term strategic direction for Origin Energy.Origin - Where good change happens
At Origin, we’re powered by people who believe in creating collective change. We’re creating more diverse and inclusive workplaces for everyone because the more perspectives we have, in a place where everyone can belong, the better we can tackle our challenges together. We are united, yet unique.
We are committed to fostering a diverse, gender equitable workforce, where all applications are evaluated on merit and potential. We encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples, people living with disabilities, culturally diverse people, any stage in life, people with intersex variations and people within LGBTQ+ communities, including trans, and gender diverse.
If you think you have transferable skills, an appetite to learn and would be a great fit, we’d love to hear from you.A great team to join
Origin. Good energy
At Origin, our focus is on getting energy right for our customers, communities, and planet. Because we know it’s up to us to shape the future of energy. Today, we serve more than 4.2 million customers, are one of the most significant energy producers in the country and listed in the ASX Top 50 companies.
Origin recognises Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples as the Traditional Custodians of country throughout Australia, and we pay our respects to Elders past, present and future.Here's a little about what makes us, us: www.careers.originenergy.com.au
Function: Market Analysis