The Barcelona Supercomputing Center - Centro Nacional de Supercomputación (BSC-CNS) is the leading supercomputing center in Spain. It houses MareNostrum, one of the most powerful supercomputers in Europe, and is a hosting member of the PRACE European distributed supercomputing infrastructure. The mission of BSC is to research, develop and manage information technologies in order to facilitate scientific progress. BSC combines HPC service provision and R&D into both computer and computational science (life, earth and engineering sciences) under one roof, and currently has over 700 staff from 49 countries.
Look at the BSC experience:
BSC-CNS YouTube Channel
Let's stay connected with BSC Folks!
Context And Mission
The Earth Science department at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center searches for one junior engineer willing to work on the development and optimization of operational climate services based on current research prototypes already developed in the framework of European projects. The successful candidate will support the development and building of a robust and reusable workflow based on individual functions employing different and state-of-the-art technologies of data management, post-processing and software development, developed in the Earth Sciences Department. These tools will be used in the European and national projects to which the department is applying, increasing the applicability and international visibility - and hence the impact - of the research coming out of the current and future projects.
The successful candidate will work in the Computational Earth Sciences Group in very close collaboration with the Earth System Services group’s scientists that will use and co-develop the tools and the workflow.
- Develop and enhance the operational verification software bringing together different pieces of software
- Improve the computational performance of the existing software
- Contribute to the maintenance of the operational workflows of the department
- Learn the basis of the verification of climate predictions at different time-scales to be able to contribute to the development of new verification tools, in collaboration with the Earth System Services Group
- Having a Bachelor in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics or related discipline
- Essential Knowledge and Professional Experience
- Good development skills in Python and or R will be valued
- Experience with UNIX/LINUX environments, scripting languages (bash, …) and version control systems (git, or svn) will be valued
- Experience in Earth System models or being keen to learn about climate models/forecasts will be appreciated
- Experience in Earth Sciences file types (NetCDF, GRIB,...), tools (CDO, NCO, xarray, …) and managing large volumes of data will be appreciated
- Keen to learn how to develop scientific applications on parallel computers
- Capacity to interact and build strong relations with both climate and computer scientists
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to take initiatives, prioritize the tasks and work under set deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and within a team
- Ability to learn and adapt to multiple programming languages easily
- Fluency in English, both speaking and writing
- The position will be located at BSC within the Earth Sciences Department
- We offer a full-time contract, a good working environment, a highly stimulating environment with state-of-the-art infrastructure, flexible working hours, extensive training plan, tickets restaurant, private health insurance, fully support to the relocation procedures
- Duration: Temporary - 1 year renewable
- Salary: we offer a competitive salary commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the candidate and according to the cost of living in Barcelona
- Starting date: ASAP
All applications must include:
- A Cover Letter with a statement of interest in English, including two contacts for further references - Applications without this document will not be considered
- A full CV in English including contact details
The vacancy will remain open until suitable candidate has been hired. Applications will be regularly reviewed and potential candidates will be contacted.
Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment
BSC-CNS is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We are pleased to consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable state or local law.
This position is reserved for candidates who meet the requirements and have the legal status of disabled persons with a degree of disability equal to or greater than 33%. In case there are no applicants with disabilities that meet the requirements, the rest of the candidates without declared disability will be evaluated.