Please note individuals will be hired into the Sr. Data Scientist or Data Scientist role, commensurate with experience level and the job specific requirements outlined below:
The Senior Data Scientist will execute data science projects across the company with the purpose of solving non-routine business problems by applying advanced methods including artificial intelligence, machine learning, causal inference, advanced statistics, natural language processing and other related techniques.
The Senior Data Scientist is experienced in delivering successful data science projects and will work in close collaboration with all business units to develop applications which utilize data for smart decision making. Explicitly, the role will include the responsibility for designing and building computational models, discovering insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical and algorithmic methods (for instance machine learning) as well as data visualization techniques.
Data Scientists work closely with business units and IT to turn data into critical information and knowledge. The Senior Data Scientist will utilize his/her experience to manage small and medium-sized projects, potentially including external support and to develop and mentor more junior colleagues.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim's high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Delivering successful data science projects:
- Understand business problems and design end-to-end data science use cases
- Collaborate across the business to understand data, IT and business constraints
- Prioritize, scope and measure the corresponding Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)/ Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for success
- Collaborate with developers to implement and deploy scalable solutions
- Establish best data operational practices and maintain all compliance requirements
- Establish the monitoring of data science models in production
- Lead agile approach to initiatives and launches
- Achieving high analytical quality of delivered projects:
- Apply strong expertise in data science to design, prototype, and build the next-generation analytics engines and services
- Generate hypotheses about the underlying mechanics of the business process together with domain experts
- Identify, evaluate and implement the most appropriate algorithm for the specific challenge
- Establishing close collaborations with business units to transform towards smart decision making:
- Guide the organization about the business potential and strategy of artificial intelligence (AI)/data science
- Actively network on a regular basis with domain experts to better understand the business mechanics that generated the data
- Quickly develop extensive domain knowledge in various topics
- Train and coach other business and IT staff on basic data science principles and techniques
- Successful management of communities and partnerships:
- Actively network on a regular basis with internal and external partners
- Promote collaboration and knowledge exchange with other data science teams within and outside the organization
- Provide thought leadership by researching best practices, conducting experiments, and collaborating with industry leaders
- Independently lead data science solution development and deployment. Deliver projects across functions and OPUs including partnerships with internal or external parties through high level of data science expertise.
Qualified candidate will be hired at the appropriate level commensurate with education/experience
- Sr. Data Scientist Requirements: Masters Degree (MS) and 5+ years of relevant work experience in data science OR Bachelors degree (BS) and Eight-plus (8+) years of relevant work experience in data science.
- Data Scientist Requirements: Masters Degree (MS) and 2+ years of relevant work experience in data science OR Bachelors degree (BS) and Five-plus (5+) years of relevant work experience in data science.
- Advanced scientific degree desirable, e.g. PhD, MD
- First-hand experience of the intense collaboration in an agile software development team
- English working proficiency and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Expert in using advanced analytical and technical skills to convert raw data into actionable business insights as well as creating, evaluating and implementing data science solutions with five-plus (5+) years of experience. This includes data preparation, data visualization, exploratory analysis and software development related to data science.
- Sr. Data Scientist: Five-plus (5+) years of experience in relevant computing languages such as R, Python and C++
- Data Scientist: Two-plus (2+) years of experience in relevant computing languages such as R, Python and C++
- Experienced in handling unix environments
- Experienced in handling unusual data sets such as unstructured data or big data (MapReduce approaches, HDFS, Hadoop architectures, Pig, Spark)
- Understanding of ETL processes and experience with various data formats
- Experienced in handling various types of data bases including data base operations and understanding of data base concepts and architectures
- Experienced in handling data bases including ability to run queries
- Basic understanding of web scraping and text processing
- Sound knowledge in scripting languages such as PHP, Perl, Bash
- Analytical Skills:
- Sr. Data Scientist: Five-plus (5+) years of deep analytical problem solving in business environments or quantitative analytical research
- Data Scientist: Two-plus (2+) years of deep analytical problem solving in business environments or quantitative analytical research
- Ability to rapidly develop analytical problem-solving approaches to complex problems, including external constraints such as resource limitations, feasibility topics, consumption by business, change management aspects, etc.
- High level of expertise to design, set up, and execute validation and experimentation of data science outcomes in business and market environments
- High level of expertise to extract and develop deep analytical insights from complex data sets including identification of patterns
- High level of expertise in relevant methods and skills such as machine learning, advanced statistics, algebra, data visualization, artificial intelligence, natural language processing, classification methods, feature extraction, dimensionality reduction, data handling algorithms, regression methods, time-series analysis, predictive modelling, causal inference methods, Bayesian networks, Markov random fields, text analysis, etc.
- Business Skills:
- Firm expertise and established experience in project management
- Well-developed ability to engage with business users and to communicate effectively with different project and business stakeholders
- Ability to successfully manage different and potentially conflicting interests of various stakeholders in the framework of data science projects
- High expertise in change management demonstrated through several projects that involved a high degree of business transformation
- Ability for out-of-the box thinking and innovative problem solving in business contexts including an entrepreneurial mindset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to build relationships with business partners, operational managers and colleagues
- Ability to handle multiple priorities under set deadlines
- Ability to constantly adapt to a fast-paced multidisciplinary changing environment (e.g. with regards to new data types or changes in competitive landscape)
- Actively contributes to the data science community
- Other Skills:
- Expert knowledge of state-of-the-art agile principles and practices for software product development and delivery
- Initiates and drives activities without guidance
- Entrepreneurial and agile mindset / out-of-the-box thinking
- Pharma experience beneficial but not required
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction
- Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
Who We Are:
At Boehringer Ingelheim we create value through innovation with one clear goal: to improve the lives of patients. We develop breakthrough therapies and innovative healthcare solutions in areas of unmet medical need for both humans and animals. As a family owned company we focus on long term performance. We are powered by 50.000 employees globally who nurture a diverse, collaborative and inclusive culture. Learning and development for all employees is key because your growth is our growth.
Want to learn more? Visit boehringer-ingelheim.com and join us in our effort to make more health.
Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health USA Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Animal Health Puerto Rico LLC and Boehringer Ingelheim Fremont, Inc. is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; citizenship status, marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; pregnancy, childbirth or related medical condition; physical or psychiatric disability; veteran or military status; domestic violence victim status; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Job - Information TechnologyPrimary Location - Americas-US-CT-RidgefieldOrganization - US-BI Pharma/BI USASchedule - Full-time