Meet our Team
Hitachi Vantara is looking for an experienced Data Engineer with a strong programming background coupled with excellent analytical and communication skills to join us in building up a marketing data science practice. Our charter is to partner with IT and Marketing to further develop a marketing data lake on Hitachi Vantara technology that enables the ingestion and blending of many disparate sources (both structured and unstructured) for predictive analytics and operational reporting. This will be the platform for next-gen business decision support focusing on: the use of statistical techniques for sales and pipeline forecasting, operational reporting, new customer acquisition, propensity-to-buy prediction for program targeting, rules for cross/up-sell, segmentation/classification, real-time analytics and media mix optimization.What you'll be doing
The Data Engineer will join a growing data science community in Hitachi Vantara and report directly to the Leader, Marketing Science as part of the marketing group. The Data Engineer will blend both structured and unstructured data and team with statisticians/mathematicians to use the latest datamining and data visualization techniques to craft actionable models and insight in order to provide a sustainable competitive advantage for Hitachi Vantara.What you bring to the team
What You Bring To The Team
- Graduate degree in computer science or a related technical field required. Excellent knowledge of database systems and architectures, big data programming languages and machine learning. Experience in working in sales and marketing analytics a plus.
- Programming experience in SQL and Python for data manipulation necessary.
- Familiarity with building data pipelines using big data technology such as Spark, Kafka, Pentaho, Hadoop, Denodo, dBeaver and Hive.
- Ability to program in R, base SAS and/or Python to implement machine-learning techniques a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: collaboration, creativity and communication all key to success.
If a career in data science with a company that is at the center of the big data renaissance sounds like a good fit for you, please reach out to us to get in on the cutting edge of big data analytics!
Specifically, the Data Engineer will implement business reporting requirements and work in the HV data lake:
1. building data pipelines using Python Jupyter Notebook,
2. creating tables and dataviews using SQL/dBeaver specific to operational reporting,
3. running ad hoc queries as needed to provide data for decision support,
4. text and data mining,
5. preprocessing to support data science projects, and
6. developing operational reports for marketing using MS PowerBI.
The candidate must have a formal education in an area related to computer science, and be exceptionally interested in lifelong learning to keep pace with the latest techniques and technology related to big data analytics, while having the skill to manipulate large, disparate datasets from a wide range of sources.
The ability to identify, synthesize and communicate technical and analytical findings and business recommendations to a non-technical audience is critical.Our Company
Hitachi Vantara is part of the Global Hitachi family. We balance innovation with an open, friendly culture and the backing of a long-established parent company, known for its ethical reputation. We guide customers from what's now to what's next by unlocking the value of their data and applications to solve their digital challenges, achieving outcomes that benefit both business and society.
Our people are our biggest asset, they drive our innovation advantage and we strive to offer a flexible and collaborative workplace where they can thrive. Diversity of thought is welcomed and our employee base is represented by several active Employee Resource Group communities. We offer industry leading benefits packages (flexible working, generous pension and private healthcare) and promote a creative and inclusive culture. If driving real change gives you a sense of pride and you are passionate about powering social good, we'd love to hear from you.Our Values
We strive to create an inclusive environment for all and are open to considering home working, compressed/flexible hours and flexible arrangements. Get in touch with us to explore how we might be able to accommodate your specific needs.
We are proud to say we are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status. With Japanese roots going back over 100 years, our culture is founded on the values of our parent company expressed as the Hitachi Spirit:
Wa - Harmony, Trust, Respect
Makoto - Sincerity, Fairness, Honesty, Integrity
Kaitakusha-Seishin - Pioneering Spirit, Challenge